This placement is with Jobs with Justice. Jobs with Justice is a coalition of labor and community organizations working together to build unity and support for the struggles of working people and to support workers’ rights. Its mission is to defend working people’s standard of living, to fight for job security, to protect their right to organize and to support contract campaigns and strikes. Jobs with Justice opposes racism, sexism, ageism and homophobia and will actively support struggles against any form of discrimination. Jobs with Justice is action oriented. During each year, member organizations take the Jobs with Justice pledge “to be there” at least five times for someone else’s fight. That means joining picket lines, attending rallies, and participating in other actions or demonstrations in support of workers’ rights.
For more information see: http://www.massjwj.net/
Proposed responsibilities include:
- working with local unions and workers to raise public awareness around issues of workers rights, including the Employee Free Choice Act
- organizing rallies and mobilizing union and non-union workers in support of collective bargaining and organizing campaigns, strikes etc.
- assisting staff in building a movement for universal health care and supporting organizing by health care workers for greater access to health care resources and inclusion of immigrants in proposals for health care reform
- participating in the Global Action Project by building solidarity links with working people and social movements in countries such as Colombia, India and China around issues such as immigration reform and efforts to ensure fair wages for immigrants
- assisting staff to organize media events, press conferences, etc. related to Jobs with Justice campaigns and actions
- helping to develop and maintain social justice web pages, email networks, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube content
- other responsibilities as agreed upon with your mentor