This is a joint placement with the Public Interest Network and the Fund for the Public Interest. The Fund for the Public Interest partners with more than 50 leading progressive political organizations working to protect the environment, public health, and human rights. The Public Interest Network takes seriously its mission of recruiting and training people for civic action. It essentially serves as an “activist pipeline,” producing a large percentage of the professionals who staff and lead public interest organizations, causes, and candidate campaigns. It is now moving this training expertise outward into neighborhoods and communities to educate even more public interest leaders.
For more information see: www.fundforthepublicinterest.org
Proposed responsibilities include:
- coordinating and planning events including activist workshops around the county. This includes duties such as coalition outreach, citizen activist outreach, and coordinating the location logistics.
- attending and learning from speakers at activist workshops
- coordinating online recruitment campaigns to raise the visibility of the activist workshops. This will include planning and implementing targeted outreach to websites, job boards, blogs, and social-networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
- contacting career centers across the country to coordinate recruitment, visibility events and on-campus interviews. This includes recruiting top student leaders for the Environment America fellowship program via on-campus outreach.
- drafting letters to the editor and press releases about environmental and other social justice issues
- assisting in canvassing and other field organizing activities
- working with staff of partner organizations such as MASSPIRG and Green Corps
- other responsibilities as agreed upon with your mentor