Oxfam America, the U.S. affiliate of Oxfam International, is a world leader in the fight against global poverty, hunger, and social injustice. Oxfam remains committed to community-based work, but it knows there are larger barriers that keep people from thriving. Through their campaigns, they challenge laws and policies that reinforce poverty. This placement is with Oxfam’s U.S. Regional Office team.
For more information see: http://www.oxfamamerica.org/campaigns/us-gulf-coast-recovery/
Proposed responsibilities include:
- supporting coordination of a possible conference on jobs in coastal communities on the Gulf Coast and in the Mississippi Delta region
- coordinating internal office events to coincide with the 5 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina – i.e. a Katrina film fest, an educational lunch program, a briefing on the state of the region 5 years later etc.
- researching updated figures on housing and recovery along the Gulf Coast including how many people are back in homes, in FEMA trailers, etc.
- creating a database of potential funders for partners and program work (includes training on fundraising software)
- creating a newsletter of new reports, conferences and research on the Mississippi Delta region
- doing computer research on climate change adaptation and green jobs in the Southern U.S.
- creating a newsletter of new reports, conferences and research on the agricultural workers in the U.S.
- other responsibilities as agreed upon with your mentor