This placement is with Be the Change, Inc., a new national organization inspired by Gandhi’s philosophy that: “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” Be the Change, Inc. seeks to revitalize our democracy by connecting the service and social entrepreneurship movements to policy development and advocacy in order to build a citizens movement for change. Initial policy areas focus on national service and poverty, with future efforts in the areas of education and youth policy.
Their first campaign, ServiceNation, is a rapidly moving effort to increase full and part-time service opportunities for people at all life stages, to use proven service strategies to address some of our most difficult societal problems, and to promote service as a core ideal of our democracy.
For more information see: http://www.bethechangeinc.org/
Potential responsibilities include:
- building relationships with ServiceNation organizing committee leaders and coalition members to effectively leverage the coalition, follow up on action items, and track our progress with the Director of Organizing;
- tracking the progress of new legislation, performing legislative outreach to key leaders, and monitoring use of the online legislative network with the Policy Counsel;
- developing action alerts, blogging, and producing videos with the Director of Creative Content;
- tracking relationships with grasstops leaders
- helping develop and maintain grassroots online communities
- assisting in administrative and database management, the implementation of organizational tools, and other various projects
- helping to brainstorm, develop and implement future campaigns and the founding materials to introduce those campaigns
- participating in a variety of discussions on topics such as policy development, community organizing, and social entrepreneurship
- other responsibilities as agreed upon with your mentor