Go Back   Discussions > Archive > Discussions > Facing History 2000-2001 > Purple Class

Old 01-09-2001, 23:14

After seeing the program on Matthew Shepard, what do you think we can do as individuals to fight against hate crimes like the ones discussed in the program? What did you think of the program itself? And what lessons are there to be learned from it?

Also: what do you think of what MTV is trying to do? Is it useful/constructive/helpful?
Old 01-11-2001, 01:18
student

I think hate crimes are going to exist no matter what we do. People continue to be unloving, and there is nothing we can do to change people's minds and actions unless we educate them. We may be able to slowly diminish the number of hate crimes in the US, but they will never be completely terminated. First of all, people have to learn what racism and homophobia is to understand what their actions are. Education is definitely the key to success, if we want a brighter and safer future. The program on MTV was certainly a valuable tool in communicating to us that these events are "real", and we should definitely do something about it.
It was a brilliant idea to have this show on MTV discussing hate crimes. Informing people and subjecting them to knowledge about hate crimes will only help to diminish its number. MTV is tryign to construct a useful source of hmmmm... propaganda maybe???(in a good way) to change what some people are thinking and to get everyone to think the same about hate crimes- that it is obviously wrong to discriminate. oh i don't know.. i'm probably all twisted and whatnot(its midnight), but according to what i learned about propaganda.. it sure seems like it. I mean, homophobic people believe that it is okay to discrimiate because gays "are not human" and they should all die anyway. So if they watch this film about discrimination they may be subjected some sort of propaganda telling them that it is wrong to hate and especially to murder someone. blah....
Truthfully, I think the only thing we can do is help ourselves. Nothing is going to improve if we expect other people to change, we can only expect ourselves to change(or stay the same for that matter)...
btw.. there are an amazing number of hate crimes out there!! what.. 17 hours(on MTV) worth of crimes!!!
Old 01-11-2001, 12:50
student

Exclamation

I think what MTV is trying to do is very helpful. It si good to keep people informed that Hate Crimes are a problem, but I think that they will continue to happen. Hate is not something that can disappear over night, or at all. Stricter laws may decrease the number of Hate Crimes, but it will not stop them. I think the problem is not the crime but the hate and discrimination that people have within themselves.
Old 01-11-2001, 19:06
student

Lightbulb

I agree with what has been said above, about how hate crimes will continue to exist, but I hope that with more education and shows like the one on MTV the numbers can be diminished. The movie was quite powerful and having it be un-interrupted also made it a more moving story, you couldn't get away from the bad that was about to happen. I think MTV and their new campaign against discrimination is great. Remember what "Rock the vote" did? MTV is a place where many teenagers get their entertainment and by showing this and the continued 17 hours of hate crimes I believe that they got the message across about how horriffic some people's actions can be.
Old 01-11-2001, 19:38
student

Unhappy

After seeing the program on Matthew Shephard I felt the pain of what it is to be discriminated against. I think at one point or another we've been discriminated against, whether because your black, white, female, male, homosexual or heterosexual, you come across people who look down on you instead of a human being. I think the program served as a motivation for people , especially young teenagers who watch MTV often, to take a stand and make a difference. Whether it's to join certain organizations in your community to fight against hate crime or protesting to let your voice be heard, this is a big step in trying to decrease the hate crimes in the world. What MTV did was really helpful because the message is getting across to many young viewers. Even though Matthew Shephard's death was a tragedy it has brought positive motivation into many people and maybe now we could do something about this to prevent it from happening to other human beings.
Old 01-11-2001, 21:15
student

Hate crimes are terrible and something should be done, but what? Makeing strick laws against hate crimes will help, but then again people will take advantage of this law. I think that the law will be abused to a certain extent. So i think the laws should be very specific, so as not to allow much leway. Even with harsher punishments I think hate crimes will continue. I personaly think that prevention of hate crimes start in your homes. People must make sure they bring their children up not to hate. This requires some time and effert with your children. My parents hae told me that they tried very hard to bring me up not hating anybody and it worked, I hate no one. I think we need more stable familes. I give MTV a lot of credit for doing what they are doing. I never thought MTV would do something like this. The movie even though nothing great was the best MTV movie I have seen. The thing that really got to me was the list. I was just blown away by the whole situation. I had to think hard but there are some negative things about how MTV went around doing this. I don't think the movie would have appealed to many people, I so many commercials about it but wasn't planning on watching till told to. Also after watching I went online and told all my friends to turn on MTV and I got a few people saying it was boring. Which I guess if you were flipping the channels it wouldn't be to exciting to watch. Also the times they choose for it. Through the night and morning when not many people watch MTV. They also stopped it just in time for TRL when the most viewer watch. Even with these negatives I think it was great what MTV did.
Old 01-12-2001, 01:16
student

I don't think that I as an individual can do much about hate crimes. It's more about convincing people that "all men are created equal". But no matter where you reach out to, there will still be people defying this. I think what MTV is doing is trying to reach out to the younger generation and try to use all these examples to influence them. I like the part in which the continuously showed incidents of victims of hate crimes. It was addictive and I thought that it was really carrying out a message to viewer. Just because of the fact that they are airing those stories over and over again, i think it's enough to make viewers realize that hate crimes are wrong.
Old 01-12-2001, 15:08
student

Angry Hate Crimes

I think that we should start groups that will fight against hate crimes. I don't mean go out there and fight everybody but the older generation need to start setting better examples for the younger generation. We need to start treating each other with love. Like KudiKudi said if people continue to be unloving then things will never change. I thought that the program was interesting and it really showed people how somethings, such as hate, are not called for. The lesson to be learn is don't attack someone because your insecure or because of your own ignorance.

I think what MTV is trying to do is good for the community. It was useful, constructive, and helpful. I hope it showed a lot of people that we need to stop the hate.
Old 01-15-2001, 21:52
student

hate

Hate crimes are the most horrific of violent crimes because they are meaningless acts which result only in unwarranted pain. The program on Matthew Shepard was painful to watch due to this senselessness. The actions of the killers' girlfriends were especially horrific. The girl with the baby continued to love a murderer despite his animal-like treatment of her. Although this girl was not a criminal, her indifference towards discrimination reflects the indifference in our society. It's a rare occasion when one will confront a friend or relative who make discriminatory remarks.
With such blindness when dealing with prejudiced individuals, it is difficult to suggest a remedy for hate crimes in society. However, MTV's airing of the Matthew Shepard story is an acknowledgement that the problem does exist. In the adolescent world, where hate against homosexuals is common and somewhat accepted, this acknowledgement is a huge step. If it did not change the views of a homophobic, it at least made viewers question their prejudice. Through public and private disapproval of hate, horrific crimes such as that committed against Shepard made be greatly reduced. In Wyoming there was a blatant attitude of hate towards gays, creating the atmosphere for Shepard's tragedy. During the trial, public officials made it clear that they would not approve of such behavior. Although this may seem to be of little consolation, the public disapproval of anti-gay attitudes in Wyoming in turn caused its residents to question their prejudice.
On Saturday Night Live this past weekend Tina Fey reported MTV's airing of the Shepard's story and the hate crime profiles. She immediately mentioned that MTV would follow the program with Eminem's special, "i'm gonna ****ing kill you *****." This skit was humorous because of the truthful irony; although MTV aired the special, the station continues to air the work of prejudiced, violent musicians. MTV has a long way to go in terms of dealing with the hypocritcal content of its programs. However, the Matthew Shepard and hate crime profile special undoubtebly caused teens to question prejudice in their lives, creating the most useful, helpful, and constructive tool television could possible provide in the fight against hate crimes: the motivation to question hate.

[Edited by prettygirl on 01-15-2001 at 08:55 PM]
Old 01-19-2001, 00:34
student

Red face

The MTV special on Matthew Shepard and hate crimes was a motivational show i think that made understood that people are gonna commit hate crimes but that they are wrong and people should stand up against them and stop the hate. The show on MAtthew Shepard its self was good i thought and shed the light on hwat happened. It hard to see the girl friend s of the two attacker punished for defending their boyfriends but it is understandable why they were punished just as it is understandable why they protected them. I thought though that the continual scroll thing of hate crimes across america wasnt that interesting itself but made you really think about how many hate crime actually happen and wonder what motivates them besides racism, sexism and homosexuality. I think it served its purpose in that it showed that normal people have to stand up to stop it.
Old 01-20-2001, 15:18
student

Unhappy

Whenever another hate crime is committed, it is a painful reminder that racism is alive and thriving in our "perfect" America. Despite all the effort that has been put into the cause of eliminating hate over the past few decades, it is still one of the most important issues in today's societies/ Personally, I feel like a lot of the actions people have take to end hate have been in vain. Whenever it feels like we're making progress, another crime like what happened to Matthew Shepard happens. It's impossible to change the thought process of ignorant and stubborn people. However, as pessimistic as this might sound, I still think there's hope. I definitely think that MTV has the right idea. Millions of teens watch the station every day and are more willing to listen to the grave importance of ending hate crimes. They know their audience and are able to use that knowledge to their advantage to take a stand against hate. After all, it is the youth of America today who will be teaching furure generations about humanity and racism.
Old 01-21-2001, 19:49
student

Lightbulb

Hate crimes have been a problem for many years, its just not something that just appeared the last few years.You can make laws and do lots of things to try and prevent hate crimes but hate is a hate is a natural human feeling and you cannot stop that. Its good that mtv is doing this though. It lets the people who are not educated about the topic know whats going on. Many teens tend not to pay attention to these types of issues and they are the ones who need to lead the way in helping to prevent these hateful acts.
Old 01-22-2001, 18:37
student

Unfortunatly, I don't think much can be done to prevent hate crimes completly. I think that they will always be around. However, I do believe that what MTV did was a very good step forward. Argueably one of the mst watched stations by kids in the age range that would most be influenced to commit a hate crime, probably showed some people just how bad it is. I think that what they did was smart and in the long run could save a lot of lives.
Old 02-01-2001, 07:35
student

Exclamation Hate Crimes

Sup? I'm Steve a 15 year old at this boring school in Prague. Its a really cold place and that's about it.
I'm from Orlando FL orgially. For the number I can count its the old people.

Yeah like what happened to that guy was sick. I think maybe the government pushes MTV to show these kind of programs or something. It sends a message i think. If you kill someone for whatever reason (i.e. they're gay, black or jewish) thats sick. MTV is doing a thing that's right. Hate crimes are irrational and is just an excuse for violence. Its a messed up world. Well do ya think MV should keep this kind of thing up?
Old 02-04-2001, 18:24
student

The Program on MTV was a huge step in the right direction. Many of us love to watch MTV to tune out from reality, to just sit back and relax. During this program you werent able to relax. It was a positive light in society and people of all ages will learn how unneccesary and foolish hate crimes really are. We need to set a better example instead of fighting because that's not going to do a damn thing. One punch leads to another. This program showed us how not to start hate crimes. It should not be a reality.
Old 02-13-2001, 18:37
student

To answer Steve's question, I think that it would be nice if MTV would continue to air these types of programs. Unfortunately, this is not the type of show that people will tune into on a weekly basis or something like that. If MTV did start to regularly air these shows its ratings would drop and I think that the leaders of MTV care more about the ratings then the plight of minorities. My instinct would be that MTV did this because they were being critisized for airing stuff like slim shady so they tried to do this to make people happy.
Old 03-01-2001, 16:46
student

To stop hate crimes you are going to need a long term solution, this ain't gonna be no quick fix. 1st people to be open to differences of others around. 2nd people needed to be educated on these differences: what these differences are, why people chose, or have these differences. only violence comes out of ignorace. i liked what MTV did, it is a step in the right direction.
Old 03-02-2001, 00:40
student

What MTV did was extremely productive in that it showed the people who watch it exactly what the result of hate crimes are. I still don't belive hate crimes can truly ever be stopped because hatred is a human emotion that sometimes can't be controlled. Even though MTV's act was noble I feel it is hypocritical because they are stil going to run things such as Eminem who gay bashes a lot and so the strong message they sent out in this show will kind of be overlooked.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:21
student

Hate crimes are a very serious issue that need to be dealt more attention. One way that we can help the fight is to stop the use of words such as "gay" and "fag" when used in a derogatory manner.
i felt that the program on MTV was very useful. it helped spread awareness of the hate crimes that are occuring in America. prior to watching th show i had no idea so many crimes of this ort had taken place