Go Back   Discussions > Archive > Discussions > Facing History 2001-2002 > Maggie's Red class

Old 11-06-2001, 23:55

Pros and Cons of Eugenics: The Story of the Eugenics Record Office (due Thu Nov 8)

Now that you've had a look at the Eugenics Record Office site http://vector.cshl.org/eugenics/ and you've looked in particular at the case of Carrie Buck, what do we know? Is there a clear argument made in favor of eugenics? What, really, do the eugenicists want to do? There is something to be said for some of their goals, no?

But in Virginia, with Carrie Buck, we see that sterilization became a battle for control over people's futures. And important: what does Vivian Buck's report card tell you?

So...what interesting evidence did you unearth on the site that taught you something significant about the pros and/or the cons of the eugenics movement?
Old 11-07-2001, 10:45
student

After going on this site, I realized that eugenicists though they thought they were right in deciding you should be sterilized were not always accurate. They never thoroughly investigated certain cases, but were so quick to decide who should be sterilized due to past history or ancestry. I think that they were simply trying to control the population, and keep it 'pure' as some might say.
In the case of Carrie and Vivian Buck, they even say on the site that the lawyer who represented Carrie wanted her to lose the case. By looking at Vivian's report card it is evident that she wasn't an imbecile or feeble- minded she was a normal child, her report was pretty decent. There were no signs in her childhood that she was stupid.
This case proves how people took the idea of sterilization to a new level. People wold just be classified as those who needed to be sterilized without any solid evidence of recent actions, they based their research on past research.

Last edited by TiDane; 11-07-2001 at 19:46.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:46
student

Lightbulb

After viewing this site I have realized that the eugenics people only wanted to set an example. They came up with an idea, then they set their minds on their goals. They picked a poor victim, Carrie Buck, and they used her to prove their theory. They twisted around her whole life and they made her into a stupid kid when in reality she was an honor student. Her lawyer was on the other side and everyone made her whole family into some cheap affair that would continue if not stopped. Even when they figured out that she was framed they still gave no thought to fixed her name to the public. It's really sad that people would be so evil and determined to succeed, that they would destroy another person with no remorse for anything. After gathering evidence on Carrie Buck's life I came to the conclusion that she was just an average girl who got caught up by the government.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:47
student

The site on Eugenics showed how me that he government has been juding people for a long time and they have judging people unfairly. They said Carrie Buck was feeble-minded because she born from a promiscuous family and they associated promiscuouity as a genetic disease, and it was harmful to the rest of the population. If it spreads it could make the rest of the population feeble-minded. And know country wants that. No matter what I don't think any country or government has the right to tell people if they could reproduce or judge them because they aren't as smart as they are.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:35
student

After seeing this website, I realized the extent of how inhumane and morally wrong the process of sterilization is. The fatc that the reason Carrie was sterilized was because of things such as "promiscuity" and other such things. I mean, is this really a reason to be sterilized? Does that make her stupid? No. And further more, she was raped, not even promiscous, and the child she did have, Virginia, was in no way stupid according to her report card. The basis for which people were selected to be sterilized is unfit and ridiculous, as was the entire process. And some of her other traits, like "untruthfulness" and "immorality," are they really ones to judge. Who gives someone the right to sterilize another based on what is thought, emphasis on thought, of them? Furthermore, isn't the person who sterilized her and all those involved, aren't they immoral. Her mother, who was said to suffer from "feeblkemindedness" and "promiscuity" was locked up for such charges, such charges that today would be thoroughly investigated and perhaps one would go through therapy, but an asylum, no. The whole process of determining who should be sterilized, as well as the act, are not only unfair, but inhumane and sick. It's a travesty that an example was made out of a seventeen year old rape victim because she was "too promiscous." Why not sterilize the rapist instead. And in fact, while they're at it, they can sterilize themselves too. This should not happen to anyone who is an unwilling and inncoent victim. In fact, it should not happe to anyone. It's a twisted, absurd practice, and clearly the people who should be prevented from reproducing are the sick people who supported and allowed it to happen. And how exactly were they sterilized. Actually, I think I'd rather not know the answer to that question. let's just hope this is a practice of the past, and not the present.

Last edited by Pelhop; 11-07-2001 at 13:36.
Old 11-07-2001, 16:56
student

Although the practice of Eugenics is immoral and wrong, the goals of it are well intended I suppose. “Eugenics was, quite literally, an effort to breed better human beings – by encouraging the reproduction of people with "good" genes and discouraging those with "bad" genes.” Personally I don’t agree with eugenics at all but I can see how there were those who supported and what their reasons were. But trying to create better human beings is changing and fooling with nature, which can have disastrous results. Controlling the human population by deciding who gets to produce and who doesn’t based on genes seems very extreme and I don’t think anybody has the right or power to determine for people if hey can reproduce or not. The case of Carrie Buck is very interesting because she was the one to be made an example of and people testified against her, who never even met her and these people were allowed to pass judgment or give a diagnosis on someone who they wouldn’t know if they walked into her. Also, Vivian Buck, the offspring of Carrie Buck, had both a mother and grandmother that were considered “feebleminded” and so by the logic of eugenicists Vivian should have been “feebleminded”, however her report card would reveal the opposite because she received good grades and if on were to look at her report card and not her genes then I’m sure they would feel in no way that she was “feebleminded”
Old 11-07-2001, 18:53
student

The topic of eugenics is very interesting. It is interesting, because it has been a long discussed topic, but was there any good reasoning in starting this program? By definition how would one classify someone as being feeble minded or insane based on his knowledge of American culture? The "IG" tests that were taken were based equally on intelligence and American culture. Many of the people who took these tests did not even speak English.

It is morally wrong to say "you are normal you can have a baby”... "You only have four toes you cannot have a baby." This is basically what the eugenics laws were made up to do. To restrict one's ability to reproduce based on how they measure up to the rest of their society is inhumane.

Carrie I'm sorry to steal your idea, but the picture of the ugliest woman was insane. How would one go about looking for the ugliest woman, proceed to take a picture and classify her as so? What makes her ugly is it because she doesn't look as she is expected to? She is a human being!!! She should be respected.

Is knowledge the only factor in determining character? If one cannot speak the English language does that make him insane? If he does not have all his body parts, does that make him a lesser person? It is very hard to begin to understand the logistics of who is fit to reproduce and who is not! Must we all be perfect? I don't think so! One must love oneself including all their faults.
Old 11-07-2001, 18:56
student

Cool Eugenitics

OKay, this was a pretty weird website. Some of the things there were awful , like the worlds ugliest woman! I mean, I just dont think its fair for people to say things like that...there were plenty of other crazy things on the site too...but anyways, interms of the Carrie and Vivian Buck case I totally agree withw what Pelhop was saying I mean its rediculous that she was sterilized for promiscuity when she wasnt even promiscuous...she was raped! And whats up with poeple who never even met her judging her sanity, or anyaspect of her character or personally? I'm just not seeing that...I don't think anyone else in their right mind would either... apparently they did though at the court house where she was tried; what a shame, it just shows that our courts are not anywhere near as perfect as we think they are... I feel awful for that girl and anyone else who had similar experinces, because the courts were just trying to use her as an example, and doing that allowed them to set a precedent for future cases...honestly i bet they knew in their hearts that what they were doing was totally wrong and immoral, but they wanted to do it for their own agendas...possibly political or similar motives...And the fact that what they were doing was totally immoral, and they tried to say that a teenage rape victim was immoral and promiscous is awful! And what about that sleazy lawyer? I cant believe he was against his own client...someone else must have been paying him more money to misrepresent her! Now thats sleazy and immoral if ever anything was...sigh The fact that this girl was raped has nothing to do with any of the claims they made against her, they were all a bunch of idiots! Oh yeah, she clearly wasnt an idiot by the looks of her report card...and even if this girl was promiscous, its no reason to sterilize her...someone should have castrated those idiots...
Old 11-07-2001, 19:10
student

I have expressed in class that I am against this who eugenics issue, and reading the story of the Bucks today just strengthened my already established view. It is wrong the strerilize anyone! Its morally wrong, and just the fact that anyone thinks they have the power to take away a natural right from anyone else is insane. I think of those, like my aunt and my uncle , who were unable to have children of their own because of a medical my aunt was born with. It was such an emotional experience for the couple. People who were given the ability to bear children should be able to keep that gift no matter what!!
Old 11-07-2001, 19:27
student

The argument in favor of eugenics has always been clear to me, but this site provided information about the different interpretations of eugenics. When Francis Galton coined the term his intent was not for "eugenics" to be synonymous with "sterilization." To him, eugenics was about the "ablest and healthiest people" reproducing to improve the human race. Negative eugenics is what we are familiar with. It involves categorizing people as "defective" and sterilizations. Positive eugenics sounds relatively harmless. This notion is much easier to swallow and also provides a better explanation as to why eugenics laws were passed, though it still doesn't excuse it.
It's unsettling that the Nazis got some of their ideas from eugenics in the United States. We all agree that what the Nazis did in Europe was cruel and inhumane, so it supports opposition to eugenics.
Something else that was interesting: promiscuity was considered genetic? That's ridiculous. And in the case of Carrie Buck, as people have mentioned, it wasn't even accurate. The case against the Bucks was shoddy and underhanded for a quick victory.

Last edited by kj11; 11-07-2001 at 19:29.
Old 11-07-2001, 20:18
student

I'm gonna just go off topic and talk about something that caught my eye as I was looking at the web site:
Quote:
Alexander Graham Bell feared that coeducational schools for the deaf might lead to formation of a "deaf race" of humanity.
Eugenics Archive: Mate Selection and Counseling
http://vector.cshl.org/eugenics/topi...arch=&matches=
Ok, this caught my attention, because deafness runs in my family, my aunt is completely deaf, and one of my uncles and a cousin both have major hearing loss. It is likely, although not extreemly, that I could have a deaf or partially hearing child, so its something I think about.
My Aunt was born with her hearing loss and can basically hear enough to be able to read lips (which is hardly anything). She was born in the early '60s and no one really knew how to deal with her hearing loss, and she was basically treated like she was a 'normal' kid and didn't really learn sign language, as she grew older she wasn't really accepted by either deaf culture (because she didn't learn ASL as a little kid) or hearing culture. She went to Gallaudet and learned ASL, which is a prominent school for the deaf in D.C. and it was there that she finally began to find a place in the world.
My Aunt married a deaf man, because as many of us know, we are drawn to people who are like us, and eventhough his hearing loss came later in life from a car accident when they had children the whole family worried about whether the kids would be able to hear, and what we would 'do' if they couldn't. My Aunt and Uncle have three children, all of whom can hear, but get teased in school for their unusual speach patter, because they 'talk like a deaf person' as someone pointed out to me. Yeah, both their mother and father are deaf, their main influences in language are people who can't hear, of course they are going to mimic the patterns of their mother and father's speech.
I also saw this amazing documentary on the cochlear implant and on the deaf population's resistance of the implant. This new break through would allow people the ability to hear, if not perfectly much better than they could ever imagine, but many deaf people are very much against the implant. They fear we will lose their entire culture and language if every child is 'fixed'. This hit really close to home, because I have a second cousin who is 5, whose parents are considuring the cochlear implant... Its just hard to think what I would do in that situation, I mean you want the best for your kids, but how do you know what is best? It is really hard being deaf, and both my Aunt and Uncle have encountered many problems with having a hearing imparement, but I'm not sure if they would give it up... I should ask them some time about it...
ok, sorry that was a total tangent... I'll try to post later on what we were actually assigned to talk about...
Sarah
Old 11-07-2001, 21:08
student

Quote:
Originally posted by LiZMcD32
Carrie I'm sorry to steal your idea, but the picture of the ugliest woman was insane. How would one go about looking for the ugliest woman, proceed to take a picture and classify her as so? What makes her ugly is it because she doesn't look as she is expected to? She is a human being!!! She should be respected.
Damn. Now what am I going to talk about in my post, Liz? Heh...no really...I just thought the whole thing about the Ugliest Woman was a bit hilarious in a "how can they say that?" way. I think it's safe to say that the general consensus of the class is that this woman is not ideally or conventionally attractive. But who was in charge of officializing (word?) her "most ugliness"? I mean Harold So-and-so out in Anytown, Idaho could think she was the most beautiful woman he has ever laid eyes on. Or, you know, I could be the Ugliest Woman in the World...it's all dependent on the viewer (after all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"--oh, how trite!) Anyway, my point is...everything that made these people "freaks" was based on the judgments or opinions of a select group of people that just assumed what the world would think of these "freaks".

And now, something I do best, making lists:

Pros of Eugenics:
--[In the eyes of the Eugenicists], eugenics established a "norm" so that people would be aware of what appearance was acceptable to the public.
--[As a result of the above], there would only really have to be one truly Ugly Woman. This would be used as a model of "what's wrong" and with this model, woman can know do anything/everything they can to make sure they don't look like Mary Ann Bevan.

Cons of Eugenics:
--Eugenics established a "norm".
--Less diversity, due to everyone trying to fit the model of "acceptable".
--Many people would be outcasted by society.

Okay, the lists don't need to continue because I just realized that every point I was making was basically a reiteration of the last one: basically, eugenics = conformity.

Just to leave you with a few of my favorites:

[] Robert Wadlow. I love this man. I went to a Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum--that's a great story--and he was all over the place there (a wax replica of him, not Robert himself!). 8 1/2 feet tall! Did someone say he died of a foot problem or something? Poor guy.

[] Lion Man! Is it just me or does Lion Man look totally fake?

[] Chief Pantagal. This photo is strange; I think it looks very modern. The man is actually very "normal" looking--he's just in "his tribal garb".

(I have to leave work now--yay--but I'm going to actually answer the post questions when I get home.)

Last edited by costly; 11-07-2001 at 21:16.
Old 11-07-2001, 21:08
student

I’m not quite sure what to say here. I feel the way everyone else seems to feel – that Carrie Buck was a victim, her daughter not at all an “imbecile,” but in fact an Honor Roll student, microcosmically proving the sterilization idea false. I was extremely bothered that she was a rape victim. Imagine being this poor girl… her mother in an institution, her father gone, raped, with a daughter, and considered by others to be dumb. I don’t know how likely it was that she really wasn’t smart. From the tests we were shown in class, and her story making it sound as if she were sterilized for “promiscuity” more so than lack of intelligence, I’d say Carrie Buck probably wasn’t a stupid woman. She seems to have been targeted and victimized several times, and her case is just… depressing.

As for the site, well, it’s good to have sites like these. It reminds us to never do anything like that again. My attention was particularly drawn to the several “analyses” of black and white fetuses in the interracial marriage section. There were collections of fetuses, all measured carefully, and comparisons of things like nose width and space in between the big toe and the next one. I have to admit I’ve never thought about the spaces in between my toes very carefully, so it seems just ridiculous to me that people would use at as a twisted sort of basis for racial prejudice. But, I guess that point is that there’s no good reason for racism.
Old 11-07-2001, 22:05
student

I am a little hung up on this: the facts about Carrie Buck clearly point the fact that she was perfectly sane and a fair student, not insane or mentally disabled. So why prosecute? What did the lawyers (who conspired to find her guilty) stand to gain?

Eugenics was practiced in the hope of bettering the society, and I think that their methodolgy reflects a time when racism and sexism were practiced, and this practice encouraged the idea that people were born to act a certain way. Now, we believe more that most detrimental acts are learned behaviours and reflections of past experiences. In other words, parents of children who grow up to be violent often subjected their children to violence. I don't even think that violence compares to the financial burden of housing the feeble-minded (it is so funny to say that word casually), and so I have a sharp disagreement with eugeniology.
Old 11-07-2001, 22:08
student

After going to the website on Eugenics, I really started thinking about the poor fate of Carrie Buck. It reminded me a lot about how costly the death penalty, and all punishments really, is for poor people. Trials are never totally fair because of economics. I was thinking about how if Carrie were of a different class this would have never happened. I kept thinking about the hysteria around the McCarthy Era and connected it to how hysteria about insane, feeble-minded, etc. people sort of took off in the form of a massive counrty (and world) wide concentration on Eugenics. I thought about how easily total sterilization of everyone under par could be. Especially, how a total "cleansing" of a population could happen. I see howw easily the cleansing happen in Nazi Germany after seeing the "scientific" conclusions that went on here in America.
Old 11-07-2001, 22:36
student

I have to say that I was completely taken aback when I visited the Eugenics site. One learns something new everyday. With the IQ tests and such, I felt as though eugenics was trying to create some sort of perfect world and that upset me. Carrie Buck and her daughter, Vivian Buck, were treated very unfairly. Vivian Buck did extrodinaryly well on her report card. I don't see anything that stands out that would make me think twice about her learning ability or as the government put it so eloquently "feebleminded." This is an example that eugenics is absolutely horrible.

After going through parts of the archives, I realized that these people seriously impinged upon a lot of peoples rights and lifestyles...something that I really don't agree with...at all!
Quote:
The eugenics movement saw itself as fostering a public good. They encouraged reproduction of the "best and the brightest" and discouraged reproduction of the "unfit" -- including criminals, alcoholics, psychotics, the retarded, paupers, and those in poor physical health. http://vector.cshl.org/eugenics/topi...arch=&matches=
Old 11-07-2001, 23:10
student

The things that these people believed in were pretty ridiculous. I cant believe that so many people actually believed in this primitive form of eugenics. Today, or at leat in the near future i believe that eugenics may work. Instead of placing resitrictions on having children, scientist could extract the sperm and egg of the parents and remove any harmfull genes while adding beneficial ones. However, only the rich would have these advanced children and it would probably end up like in that movie gattica. The people who werent geneticaly altered were labeled as invalids and had fewer advancement opportunities. The story about carey was pretty messed up. There was nothing wrong with her and her baby was very smart. As if being raped wasnt bad enough she had to be sterilized as deemed unfit for the human race. The people who wrote these laws were just looking out for their own interest. Marrige laws were established to keep people with traces of any non white person from marrying a pure white, except if the person was less than 1/16th indian upped from the original 1/64th. That is a load of BS. Most of the old southern politicians belonged to families from the original colonies that had married with indians. They were just trying to keep the blacks out of power.
Old 11-07-2001, 23:14
student

The whole website on Eugenics was incredibly interesting because it explained exactly the social contexts and events that led up to the practice of sterilization to try to create a "better" and "stronger" race. However, through examination of the site, you also realize what a mistake the whole idea of eugenics was. From the example of Carrie Buck, with the corruption of her trial (in terms of the conspiring of the lawyers on both sides) and the lack of valid and proving evidence, it completely made it obvious to me the faults of engaging in sterilization and the pratice of eugenics. Vivian Buck's report card was basically a "normal" report card; sure, she may have had a C (oh my god! a fate worse than death), but besides that, she had a strong academic standing, suggesting that in fact she did have a somewhat strong intelligence level. The whole incident surrounding Carrie Buck just disapproved all the credibility of the eugenics effort, showing me a perfect example as why the classification of "idiot," "imbicle," and "feeble-minded" could never really be determined in any efficient, scientific manner.

During my exploration of the site, I also looked through the Mental Illness archives, during which I found an "Idiot Scale," which attempted to break down the different types of idiots, what work they were capable of, and the age mentality of the idiots. First of all, what bothered me was the fact that they were trying to classify these people into very narrow caterogories that seemed inconclusive. Second, It basically tried to break down a topic that wasn't really solid to begin with, thus resulting in some type of generalization and error. I also looked at the Race Mixing topic, which had an interesting family tree which discussed the "disproving of passing for a white person married to a pure white person may have a negro child." (I hope I wrote that right?) But, it was interesting how race played into. It seemed like all the African American people were portrayed as ugly, and the monkey image resonated throughout all the pictures of African-Americans. But, the difference was that not all the white people were portrayed as "pretty, perfect, blonde-haired," but instead only the ones that were considered "legitimate," and the ones with no African American heritage. Race definiteley was also a major aspect of the eugenics movement.
Old 11-07-2001, 23:14
student

The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

Well first I just want to say that after finding out about the sterilization of Carrie Buck, I hold even stronger to the comment I made on the post for Monday. I am a strong believer that sterilization is an inhumane action. I 100% feel that sterilization is an injustice upon human beings natural rights to reproduction. The story of Carrie Buck just adds to my belief. Carrie was unfairly discriminated against, her own lawyer was against her from the beginning. He was in a conspiracy with the other lawyers to get Carrie Buck "guilty" of feeble-mindedness. After Carrie was unfairly sterilized people discovered that she wasn't feeble-minded or an imbecile. No time was taken into discovering Carrie's academic records; this is what makes me angry, how is someone going to sterilize someone else for being an imbecile if they don't know her/his acedemic performances. Shouldn't this be the basis of their arguments for feeble-mindedness?

I feel that the efforts of the Eugenics Record Office in Cold Spring Harbor were ones made only to better their cause and not to better society. I also feel that the categories used by Eugenists to confirm that someone should be sterilized holds no truths whatsoever.

Last edited by Saphier02; 11-07-2001 at 23:28.
Old 11-07-2001, 23:25
student

This whole idea of eugenics kind of makes my mind go a little crazy. I mean, throughout my years in elementary school and as long as I can remember, I had always been preached that old saying that “if everyone was the same, the world would be boring.” To this cliché, I give a loud “WORD”. I mean, imagine if everyone in the world was just like Ms Freeman. Yes, the world would be a better place, full of love, joy, and happiness; but if the world was nothing little Freemen/women all of their genius level brain powers would clash and could lead to the destruction of mankind. Who would want that? Maybe the Eugenicists would see it as the “norm”, but who needs the hassle?

Now before I scrape all of the brown off my nose, let me touch upon our friends the Bucks. First of all, the categories that classified Carrie as a threat to future generation are a bit crazy as many have said. If promiscuity was something that one needed to be sterilized for, just about the whole school would probably be sterilized by now! Also, the doctors working against Carrie never even investigated the reason for Carrie’s pregnancies. They jumped to conclusions without evidence, judging her before they had the cold hard facts. Also, the fact that her own lawyer was against her shows the prejudice felt towards those who did not “fit the mold” of that era. Also, upon looking at her daughter, Vivian’s report card, one can clearly see that Carrie’s offspring who was supposed to be “feebleminded” got grades that many see as pretty damn good. (So she got a D in English, probably a bad day). Yet, people immediately jumped to the conclusion that she would no doubt be below the norm. This clearly demonstrates the inconsistency and discrimination in eugenics.

I can see a little logic behind the eugenicists’ ideas. What they wanted to do was create what would be almost a Utopia-like society in which everyone was virtually equal to everyone else. No one fell behind physically or mentally. Sure, their intentions were good, but the human race cannot be made perfect, no matter who a scientist weeds out.

My favorite part of the site was the part about the “circus folk”. It was like the old freak shows in cartoons. There were enormous people and extremely small people, and the never fail bearded woman (who I personally think was a guy…). I guess what this is saying is that the only thing that people who do not fit the norm are good for is to be spectacles, “attractions”, a way to make a buck.
Pros of eugenics: peace, love, happiness, since everyone is the same (unrealistic ideals)
Cons of eugenics: no diversity among people; the world is boring; if a lot of the genetic diseases are weeded out through sterilization, could overpopulation occur since no one would be dieing of genetic diseases??

- Turd Furgesson