Old 03-04-2006, 15:47
Super Moderator

Schindler's List

Over the next three weeks, all three sections of Central will see Schindler's List in class. It is a very powerful movie - and it is amazingly complex. After reading Browning and watching Milgram, and knowing the power of the situation and the tendency toward blind obedience, acts of rescue like those taken by Oscar Schindler seem rather difficult to understand.

You have three tasks with this posting. First, what is your reaction to Schindler's List in general. Anything you'd like to say about the film, your reaction to it, will suffice.

Second, what was it, do you think, that made Schindler change from being someone interested in his own personal profit to someone willing to put the saving of lives above all else? Can you pinpoint any moment or event or any change of heart or was the process for him a more gradual one? Be specific--and give your reasons for taking the view that you do.

Lastly, as we discussed in class, up until he died, Oscar Schindler was considered a war criminal in Czechoslovakia for his betrayal of sensitive military information which allowed the German military to invade on March 15, 1939. Was Czechoslovakia wrong to maintain this position in spite of his heroic efforts for the Jews?
Old 03-08-2006, 13:00
student

Schindler's List is an incredibly touching and powerful movie. Though I tried hard to fight back my tears, they simply kept flowing.

The existence of a person like Oscar Schindler in a time like this is a small spark of hope and a sign that humanity was still somewhat present. I thought the movie to be incredibly powerful and moving. It gives you a sufficient amount of history in order to fully comprehend what is going on in the movie. What I like about the movie is that it shows very well how Oscar Schindler goes from being a somehwat arrogant man who is interested only in himself to becoming a humane sensitive person. Being German, I always somewhat hate watching movies like this simply because I am unable to understand how my country was able of doing what they did. I am not ashamed of being German, but I am ashamed of what happened. I do not have the power to take back what had ocurred, but I am able of making sure that something like that will never happen again.

I thought that one of the most powerful scenes was the one where Schindler is saying good bye to all the jews shortly before he flees. He is saying good bye to Stern when he suddenly breaks down. He keeps saing that he could have saved more, that she should have saved more. He takes a pin from his jacket and repeats over and over again that this pin could a been a person saved. He falls to the floor and starts crying. This shows the real humanity in him. He cried for people which he personally did not know, but he wished he had saved. He had done so much already and yet he cries because he thinks that he could have and should have done more. This really shows that is actions towards the end weren't selfish ones, but rather ones which were made because he really cared for saving the lives of innocent people.

Like I had said before, it is easily noticeable that Schindler's reason for taking the jews to work for him changed. At the beginning he was interested in making profit only for himself, but by the end he was interested in only one thing, saving their lives. I think that this change in heart ocurred during the liquidation of the Ghetto. He was watching what was ocurring in the Ghetto from a hill, and there I noticed that he was really horrified. I think that he there realized the real intensity of the situation, and that these were human beings being tortured by other human beings. You could tell by the horryfied expression on his face that he finally realized what was happening, and that he finally care about the human beings.

In Czechoslovakia , Schindler was considered to be a war criminal for giving the Germans information about the Czech military. I understand completely that Czechoslovakia would consider this man to be a war criminal. Because of him the German army was able of invading Czechoslovakia. If he would have done this to any other country I think he would have been considered a war criminal there too. But then again, I wonder if he would have been able of saving so many lives if he wouldn't have giving that information to the Germans. Because of this he must have had some good connections to the German Government and he was well liked. And for those reasons he was able of getting those Jews to work in his factory. So I have come across a sort of dilemma.

Again, I found the movie to be very well made, with several very powerful scenes. Watching movies like this drives me crazy. Sometimes I walk away from Holocaust movies thinking that I hate being German. But I know that this is somewhat rediculous. I should hate what I am, but I should be aware of what happened. I am aware. I am horrified. I am digusted. And I hope that nothing like this will ever occur again.

Last edited by Mango; 03-08-2006 at 13:04.
Old 03-08-2006, 14:56
student

First of all I just want to say that the movie simply once again shows what an outstanding director Spielberg is. How he always finds a way to the viewer's heart and what an incredible sense for details he has surprises me every time, over and over again.
Schindler's List is not an exception. Although I had already seen the movie before, it was not less touching. I'm not sure if anybody feels the way I do, but due to the incredible amount of Holocaust movies and documentaries I've seen, it is not very easy to shock me anymore. Sadly enough, I've gotten inured to the horrible pictures and their effect becomes less and less powerful for me. However, Schindler's List is a whole different story. It's so tremendously powerful and moving that it would be a sin not to feel for the Jews, especially since I'm one of them. I agree with Mango that the scene I found the most powerful was the one just before Schindler has to flee and breaks down thinking that he could have saved more people.

Well Schindler's change of mind to me seemed like a process with a true boiling point.
I felt it all started when Stern brought to Oskar Schindler's office a worker who wanted to thank Schindler for what he does. Although at least he tries to be mad at Stern for hiring a man who is not an efficient worker, having only one arm, deep inside it must have touched Schindler. The next step was when the woman comes in and begs him to hire her parents which he refuses at first but does later. And the last and most important point in Schindler's evolution was when he stood on the hill watching the Ghetto being liquidated. This event caused him to change his mind and start hiring Jews in order to save them.
Of course the film doesn't perfectly reflect reality but Schindler's behavior really stands in contradiction to Browning's and Milgram's experiments. And this is exactly why I'm looking forward to Psychology next year, because NOTHING can be proven and there are ALWAYS exceptions. Schindler is one - that's for sure.

To answer the last question, I think it's almost ignorant to consider somebody a war criminal in of spite these heroic actions. This is the point where justice in general lacks the sufficient sensitivity and as the Germans would say "FingerspitzengefŁhl". Schindler, without a doubt did betray Czechoslovakia but it is just important to honor what he did and get over the past. Nevertheless, it is understandable that the fact that Schindler had given the Germans important military information which led to the Invasion of Czechoslovakia, made the Czechs extremely mad but this is just where you need to rise up and forgive. The way the Czechs handled the situation makes it look very odd that a man who saved the lives of nearly 1,000 Jews is not allowed to step foot on Czech soil.

I still wonder why the little girl's coat and the flames were colored, maybe somebody has suggestions?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:26
student

This was the second time I saw the movie. I have to be honest; the first time I saw it I really felt it dragged on way too long. I almost felt bored. Of course, the imagery from the ghetto and Auschwitz is horrifying, but in general, nothing really grabbed me. Like FIBE said, we see so many documentaries etc about the Holocaust that we almost become immune to them. This is a terrible thing, especially for me seeing as I have Jewish background Ė we have to fight against this. I think one of the reasons people may have found this movie tiresome was that it was filmed in black and white. We are so dependent on coloured, modern movies that the thought of an old-fashioned one scares us. I think Spielberg knew the risks of making it like this but I feel the risks paid off Ė he has made a Ďrealí masterpiece. Seeing it the second time round with an explanation before hand, I appreciated it much more. I see the realism and how wonderfully the characters are portrayed. The ĎJewishnessí in them has really been captured. There is one character however, that I do not feel has been portrayed that accurately Ė the character of Oscar Schindler himself. I am sure Mr. Schindler did go through some kind of personality change during the war but I cannot believe it was as immense as portrayed in the movie. He was an arrogant, insensitive man before. All about the money and girls, not much about real emotions. Yes, it was his money funding the Jews, but the emotion behind it, Iíd like to think that was Mrs. Schindlerís doing. After Mr. Crane told us that story I did a bit of research on it and I feel Spielberg gives Schindler far too much credit. After all, he left his wife in the slums after the war so could he have really changed that much?

As for pinpointing this Ďchangeí in the movie, I think there is one specific moment where it occurs. A young Jewess has just come to Schindler, begging him to take her parents out of the labour camp and employ them in his factory. He is furious at the prospect and forces the girl to leave. Later he complains to his accountant about the affair claiming he owns a factory for work, not for charity. He also stands up for Amon, saying he would be different if it were not for the war. His accountant then tells him some stories about how Amon pretty much shoots prisoners for his own amusement. This makes a significant impact on Schindler Ė I think because he finally realizes just how barbaric and cruel the Nazis are. Shortly after this, he takes the young womanís parents from the labour camp. Until this point Schindler does not show any empathy towards the Jews. All he is after is cheap labour force. This is why I am inclined to believe this one specific point is where Schindler is Ďtransformed.í

Finally, if one person murders another person, but also saves one, does that mean that he/she is not guilty of the murder? I think notÖone good deed does not cancel out the bad. I think the Czechoslovak government had every right to charge Schindler as a war criminal. After all, if he had not given away the plans, the Germans would not have invaded, and it is possible many Czech Jews would have been saved. I think Schindler signed the death sentence for many more Jews compared to the number he saved by giving the Nazis access to the military plans. He was a self-centred, money crazy man before his transformation, and forgive me those with a different opinion, I donít feel he changed that much. Yes, his moral conscience managed to get to him for a period, but after the war, Iíd like to see how much his behaviour changed. But actually, truth be told, whether his personality changed or not is beside the point. He betrayed the country, making him a traitor, and that cannot be forgiven with one good act. Of course the Czechoslovak government was angry, it was their job to protect national security was it not? They should not have ever been expected to forgive a man for one good deed. If Schindler helped himself in anyway by helping the Jews, letís hope it helped relieve his moral conscience of some of the horrible things he did before.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21
student

Schindlers list

This was the first time i had ever seen the movie. It was a very moving and memorable performance. I was amazed to see how many people he actually saved, and broke down in tears when Schindler was kicking himself for wasting money on pointless things were he could off saved a few more Jews.

I love what Spielburg did with the little Jewish girl wit turning hte her jacket orange, that was very artistic and believable to watch, however it was distrbing to see her body later tangled up with other little children.The movie was made extremely well , but the relationship he made the head officer have with the Jewish maid was odd. I dissnt see it fit. It was effective becaus ewe saw a kind side to the officer, and as he started to realise he had feelings for this girl he would beat her. That was interesting to watch, but i diddnt think thta it fitted.

It was nice how we could clearly see Schindlers personality change throughout the novel, and his kindness to his banker was admirable.
Old 03-10-2006, 14:01
student

I really liked Schindlerís List it was a very interesting and powerful movie that I was looking forward to see. I have to admit however that I was expecting this movie to be a lot worst than it was, I literally thought Iíd be puking my guts out and crying river after river, and yes it is a very harsh movie but I think my mind traveled too far when I heard it was THE MOST anti-Semitic movie ever made. I think the saddest part was when Schindler broke down crying because he was so overwhelmed with what he did and he wished he could have been less selfish and sold his car to save more people and I thought I was going to break down and cry as well. But I think he did what he could and if he hadnít done anything at all it would have been worst.

I think Schindler changed his mind mainly when he became very close friends with Itzhak Stern, he alteast wanted this Jew to be saved because he helped him so much and offered him company, other kind of company he couldnít find in bed. Also when one old worker came over to Schindler and showed his appreciation for him making this pot company which saved his life and gave him a second chances due to his missing arm it made Schindler at first pity these people. I think also the fact that he had them living there and working for him and he heard all these horrible stories it sort of melted his heart. Also I keep on insisting the friendship or relationship that was developed between Schindler and Stern was the biggest thing that made him change his mind, he just developed this affection towards him and Stern someway encouraged Schindler to fight for these innocent Jews being one himself.

Well Schindler did betray Czechoslovakia, and it was very wrong to do so. But I think we also have to see the side intentions maybe by doing this heíd obtain enough trust between German generals which then he could bride and made him favor by giving him the Jews he asked for. I donít expect Czechoslovakia to forgive Schindler totally because this betrayal meant Germans attacked and took possession over Czechoslovakia and if I were Czech Iíd be pretty pissed. But then again nobody is perfect and at the moment it was probably the only way he found to save the Jews and many heroes over history have done something wrong to accomplish a greater good. I still think Czechoslovakia should recognize that it was done only to do good to the poor Jews but I donít think Iíd be totally wrong for the Czechs to be pissed at him.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:09
student

I'd heard of Schindler's List before we watched it in class but I had no idea it was Spielberg movie. When someone says "Spielberg" I think of Jurassic Park and Jaws and Indiana Jones and Minority Report, not a powerful and disturbing movie about how one man did a 180 during the Holocaust and went from being self-centered and money-oriented to buying off Nazi officials to save hundreds of Jews from being gassed in (at?) Auschwitz.

I really liked Schindler's List but I would be lying if I said that I didn't close my eyes or at least cover my eyes during some of the more brutal scenes. True to what Mr. Crane said before we watched the movie, I immediately disliked Amon Goeth (Ralph Fiennes), however his personal battles with being "nicer" (for lack of a better word) made the film all the more real and powerful. I didn't like Oskar Schindler at the beginning (but ten points to Liam Neeson for portraying him so well!) but I guess you're not supposed to. Reading everyone elses posts on this movie, I fully regret leaving five minutes before the end to go make up that math test: It would appear that in doing so I missed one of the most powerful scenes- the one in which he regrets squandering his money on girls and booze and other superficial things. But all in all: An awesome movie. And thumbs up for making it in black and white: a brilliant decision that made the movie and its story all the more intriguing and powerful.

There were many scenes in the film where I thought "okay, he's changing here" but what I thought was one of the real turning points for Schindler was, as Mango said, "the liquidation of the Ghetto". He watches from the hill as Jews are pulled from their houses and some of them shot and then just left in the street to rot. He can't take his eyes off the scene, especially the little girl in the almost glowing red coat walking through the street, unharmed and unobserved. This scene coupled with a much later scene in which Schindler and Goeth are standing in front of a pile of burning bodies and a wagon goes by and again, standing out in sharp contrast to the usual grey tones, is that little girl with the red coat. But in this scene, the coat is splattered with mud, her hair is matted and her mangled, broken body lies on top of yet more dead Jews who are on their way to the cremation pits. The look on Schindler's face and his reaction of horror makes me think that it was then that he began to change. Or at least, feel some kind of remorse for what the Nazis (and he, too, actually) had been doing.

Oskar Schindler was exiled from Czechoslovakia for the rest of his life. No, I don't think that Czechoslovakia was wrong in doing so. Even though this man saved hundreds of lives toward the end of the Holocaust, it still doesn't make what he did any less wrong. As lari_lamb said: "if he had not given away the plans, the Germans would not have invaded, and it is possible many Czech Jews would have been saved." Very true. By selling military secrets to the Nazis, he condemned thousands of Jews to their deaths. While his sudden transformation and rescue of the Jews of Plaszow is admirable, it doesn't erase who he was before and what he did later, like ditching his wife in the slums and running off with some younger woman, and leaving his wife NOTHING. No, Czechoslovakia had every right to ban Schindler from the country.

To finish off, I would again like to quote Mango:
Quote:
Being German, I always somewhat hate watching movies like this simply because I am unable to understand how my country was able of doing what they did. I am not ashamed of being German, but I am ashamed of what happened.
I am German, as well, and what Mango said sums up just about everything I feel about the Holocaust and World War I AND World War II: I am not ashamed of my nationality but I am ashamed of our history. Germany will always be associated with Hitler and the unnecessary deaths of millions of people. That's the sad truth but I will do everything in my power to prevent something like this happening again.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:33
student

Schindler's List

Schindler's list not only is a great movie, in terms of effects, music, but it has also has a very important historical importace, especially to me, since I am Jewish. This movie is very powerful in its message and has a very close look on Schindler's story and on his big change in life which saved 1100 Jews. This movie is an unforgettable great movie by Steven Spielberg.

I think when Schindler joined the Nazi party in 1929 he did not join because he is anti comunist nor anti semitic. His point of view, I believe, was free labour and as we know from the movie that Oskar Schindler had a good financal brain and a pocket full of money, all he needed was workers and machines. When he got to know all the Jews especially Itzhak Stern, his business manager, he got to know them and understand they are humans like him. I think also when the woman ( I forgot her name) came to Schindler and told him that people say he is a G-d and his factory is heaven and she requested her parents to be placed to work and not to go to a camp he first disagreed but then when he thought of what people say he actually saw that these people really appreciate him even though he still labours them, he saved their lives. I also think at his birthday party when he got a cake from his Jewish workers he kissed a Jewish woman which does make not only a physical connection but also a phsycological connection, to show thankfulness from both sides. I think Oskar Schindler has his humanity planted in him before, maybe he had not noticed it, but the fact that he told Amon Goeth that power is not by killing but by forgiving, Goeth tried it and it didnt work well. He tried it with the boy working in his house and with his made he even almost got to a point where he would be forgiving but then his evil nature took control on him which made him beat her like an animal and he shot the little boy while leaving his house.

I think it is the right of Czechoslovakia to maintain Oskar Schindler in the war criminal list although I believe he is not a war criminal. I believe in order for him to save these 1100 Jews he had to grow in position of power and he could not have done it without helping the Nazi government. All his actions as a businessman and as life rescuer for 1100 or more Jews would not be possible if he would not be in the Nazi party. I believe as a Jew that "Anyone saving one life, saves a whole world"

כל המציל נפש אחת, כאילו הציל עולם ומלואו

Last edited by TAN; 03-12-2006 at 04:26.
Old 03-11-2006, 13:42
student

Schindler's List

Schindler's List is an amazing, powerful movie. I thought I would be in tears for the entire film. Surprisingly I wasn't (and hey, I cry at sad movie trailers, so that definitely surprised me). One of the most heart-breaking moments of the film is when Schindler breaks down, sobbing and experiencing overwhelming guilt because he felt that didn't make that extra effort to save more lives. My heart did somersaults when all the Jewish women and men rushed to embrace him...it was so, so sincere. I think, surrounded by thousands of Jews he rescued, he was reminded of the millions that - in his mind at least - he might have been able to save. I noticed, while watching Schindler's List, that I have really numbed myself to Holocaust movies or documentaries. I've seen so many that I can't really afford to let myself be equally affected by each one, because, as a Jew, everytime I see the suffering and death of the Holocaust victims, I feel a part of myself die with them...and there's nothing I can do about that feeling. Is that a bad thing?

In my opinion, Schindler's relationship with Itzhak Stern was the deciding factor in his "change of heart" so to speak. Every time Stern brought up the topic of suffering and death of Jews, Schindler would say, "What am I supposed to do about it?". Yet, every time Stern also gave Schindler the ability to emphasize. Instead of feeling detached to the whole situation, he suffered with each of his workers and felt personally responsible for their welfare.

Another deciding factor would be the scene in which he watches the Ghetto being liquified. We see him sitting on his horse, plainly horrified at the savage brutality going on below. How could seeing that NOT change his mind?

However, taking into account the story that Mr. Crane told us in class, and in accordance with many of lari_lambs points...I feel that Spielberg glorified Oskar Schindler to the point that we cannot see his real-life personality anymore. He was a selfish man, and this is clearly shown by the fact that he abandoned his wife-who was equally as heroic as he-after the war. If he was so kind, caring, affable, benevolent...why did he do that? Perhaps he was motivated to save those Jews by guilt, or empathy. I think it is more likely that as an industrialist, he was interested in the profit. Yet, this can't be right, because Schindler later spent all his money trying to help the Jews. So was he a hero without fault? Or was he a greedy industrialist who is glorified by every website and movie about him? Or maybe, as Mars eloquently put it, he did a "180" and went from being "self-centered and money-oriented" to working non-stop to save Jews from a fate of being gassed?

I suppose we'll never know.

Czechoslovakia had the right to consider Schindler a war criminal. He betrayed their country in order to save others, yes, but does saving one person excuse killing another? Definitely not. I would have found it shocking if they hadn't considered him a war criminal up until his death. He handed Czechoslovakia to the Nazis on a silver platter. If he could have done it another way, maintained his relationships with Nazi officials in a different manner, I'm sure he would have seen the sense in that, and done so. However, he probably felt that his situation was absolutely catch-22, and would have rather sacrificed a country whos Jews he wasn't familiar with or friends with, for the sake of his workers whom he must have felt responsible for. Humans will do anything to save their loved ones, and even if this isn't the case with Oskar Schindler, it is true that an individual will more readily sacrifice someone they don't know in order to save their family or friends.
Old 03-11-2006, 16:03
student

Shindler's List

Schindlerís List is an incredibly moving, powerful and mind blowing movie. One of the best films I have ever seen. Steven Spielbergís choice of black and white I think is one of the best decisions he made as it keeps the history context and makes us feel as though were re living one of the most gruesome times in the 20th centaury. The use of black and white sets the mood and gives a greater impact. The use of the little girls red coat is what makes this movie even more compelling. Itís a beautiful way to personalize the individuals tragedy and show just how innocent this little girl, like all of the Jews were. This is a perfect case of ďactions speaking louder than wordsĒ.
The acting in this film was brilliant. They made me cry in almost every single scene.

I think what makes Oscar Schindler change from being someone interested in his own personal profit to someone willing to put the saving of lives above all else is that he begins to realise what his morals are and that is too, stop being a womanizer and to stop being so self centred. I would say that just by Schindler giving up all his money, which was the only thing that mattered to him in the beginning, in the end he gives it all up to save over a thousand Jews. This to me says it all. The most heart wrenching scene of all is when he breaks down crying in front of all the Jews he saved and says that he could have done more. Revealing his compassion and change of heart.
The scene that sticks out the most in my mind, apart from the one at the end, is when all the Jews are being deported and are squashed in tiny carriages without water, while itís boiling hot outside and the SS including the terrorising camp commandant, Amon Goeth are just sitting, drinking and watching. Oscar Schindler in front of Goeth and other Nazi war criminals, takes the house pipe and sprays it into every single carriage. This is what sets him apart from the Naziís, and he proudly shows them just how much he cares for the Jews. These two scenes are where we see him changing into heroic caring person.

For me itís incredibly difficult to say whether or not Czechoslovakia was wrong to maintain Oscar Schindler being considered a war criminal, after all of the heroic things he had done for the Jews. However on the one hand as piratemonkey and lari_lamb have said, doing a couple of heroic things does not change all the bad things that you have done. We are all responsible for our actions and unfortunately, Shindler was one example even though he did save all those Jews. I have to say, if Oscar Shindler did not give the Germans the military information, they might have never been able to invade on March 15, 1939. So yes, I suppose Czechoslovakia were right in considering him a war criminal. After all he did betray them and like I said, even though he saved all those Jews it still does not change what he did.

Quote:
There are fewer than 4000 Jews left alive in Poland today. There are more than 6000 descendants of the Schindler Jews.
Isn't this an amazing fact.

Last edited by nibs; 03-11-2006 at 16:17.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:28
student

Post Schindler's List

This was the first time I had ever watched Schindlerís list. It was really sad and has a lot of parts in the movie where you would just want to break into tears. It was really touching and a very good movie. I really liked Itzhak Sternís part the best, he is the most lovable character in the movie for all the stuff he does for the Jewish community.

I think itís the part where he is on the horse up in the hill and sees what is happening to the people. I think it is the fact that he got to know all the Jewish people a little more than just Jewish people. I also think in particular it was that little girl that he saw with the red coat, the one he later saw dead. I think it was that because he seems shocked to see her dead and remembers her walking. I think it is also the fact that Itzhak Stern helps him and sort of tries to get through to him by telling him what is happening to the Jewish people. It could also be that the Jewish people have given him so much by working and him not even giving them a salary.

I think that Czechoslovakia had every right to charge Oscar Schindler as a war criminal. If he had not given away the plans maybe Germany would have never invaded and many other Jews would have been saved. But I do think that a persons good deed makes up for the bad one.

I do think what Oscar Schindler did was a good deed but had he not done the bad ones maybe a lot of Jews would have been saved.

MeMeNtO mOrI . . . ReMiNdEr Of DeAtH
Old 03-12-2006, 09:09
student

Schindler's list

Hello Everyone,

Well, my first reaction to the film is that it is breath-taking and moving. Schindler's list is not a film that I will ever forget. It filled me with so many emotions; anger, compassion, sadness, hope. In the beginning I cried for the pain of the Jews and I cried for the cruelty men are capable of. By the end I was crying out of happiness for the hope of good in mankind. I cannot properly put into words all the emotions I felt and all the thoughts that were swimming through my brain while I was watching the film, and I am of the opinion that if I could, the film would not have been nearly as moving.

There were two scenes which were particularly moving for me. The first was when the war was over and the Jews from Schindlerís factory made him a ring. To make this ring, one of the workers willingly gave up his gold filling. This is such a beautiful scene because of how the Jews were forced to give p their fillings to the Nazis throughout the war, and now it made this Jewish man so happy to give it up for a German. The other scene which really moved me was when they presented the ring to Schindler and read him the inscription. Schindler just breaks down in Sternís arms and cries for all the people he did not save.

It is obvious that in the beginning of the film, Schindler is only after one thing; money. He does not care for the people he employs, he only cares that they are hard workers and do not cost as much as hiring normal citizens. However, it is apparent that a colossal change occurs within Schindler which causes him to care for only the survival of his workers. He is especially worried about the children and makes sure that all of them are included on is list.

I cannot be totally sure of the point in the film at which this change occurs within Schindler, but I believe that it happens when he is watching the massacres in the Ghetto. He is sitting on his horse watching from his vantage point on a hill. He seems greatly moved by what he sees, particularly when he sees the little girl in the red coat. She is carelessly walking along amongst all the horror of the Ghetto. There are people being shot out on the street and long lines of Jews, including women and children, being marched off. Schindler watches helplessly as all this is going on. He seems almost desperate for the little girl in red, and he waits until she is inside the building before he leaves. It is after this that Schindler really starts to try and help all of the Jews in his factory.

On the last point, I, like many of you are conflicted. There are so many lives that were saved because of Oscar Schindler and what he did, yet he also sold Czechoslovakia to the Nazis. It is difficult to pass judgment on a man who did something equally horrible to what he did great. I can completely understand how Czechoslovakia held Schindler guilty as a war criminal until the end of his life. However, I can also understand how he is held by many as a hero for what he did for the Jews.

To sum it all up, I just want to say that what Schindler did for the Jews in his factory was a great act of humanity and should be remembered as such. I think we should all keep this story in the back of our minds so that we never forget what we are capable of, and that doing what is right is not usually easy, but never impossible.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:14
student

Schindlerís List, even after watching it for the third time, still impresses me deeply. I am yet amazed by how a crafty businessman could transform into a great hero. In spite of the existing doctrine against Jews, Schindler still used his connections and resources to rescue the Jews. A scene that I still found especially touching was in the end of the film, when Schindler breaks into a sob, crying out that he couldíve saved more Jews if only he had not wasted so much money. It truly shows how much his conscious has grown to value life deeply. Schindlerís heroic efforts should be emulated and learned from.

I believe that Schindlerís transformation from being a person interested in his own profit to someone willing to save lives begins when he witnesses the force immigration of Jews to Pwaszow. It is from that point that Schindler understands the harrowing treatment of the Jews. His horror stricken face shows a great deal of guilt and sorrow for what is happening. However, he does not become prepared to reach out a helping hand until the Jewess begs him to take in her parents. Initially, when Schindler hears this plea he angrily drives the girl out of his office and turns to Stern accusingly. He exclaims that his factory is not a charity for orphans or old and useless Jews. Yet, in the end he instructs Stern to bring the old couple over. This serves as a huge contrast between the beginnings of the film, when Schindler is furious at Stern for hiring a helpless, one-armed man. Thus, I believe that Schindlerís moral conscious and sympathy causes him to take action and shelter the Jews at this point in the movie.

Finally, I think that Czechoslovakiaís policy towards Schindler is justifiable. His good deed in saving the Jews is worth honoring, yet it is a completely different business of him betraying his country in 1939. These two matters should be dealt with separately. Since Schindler sold his country to the Germans, he should be lawfully condemned. One good deed doesnít repeal a bad one, plus the law is there. Also, like lari_lamb said, ďAfter all, if he had not given away the plans, the Germans would not have invaded, and it is possible many Czech Jews would have been saved.Ē
Old 03-12-2006, 09:25
student

Schindler's List

I have found this movie extremely moving, but on the other hand very hard to watch. This is around my 4th time that I have watched it, and for some odd reason it simply gets harder and harder every time. In class I could not stop crying. The brutal ways that the Jews are killed, loved ones separated, their struggle for survival was shocking. The movie seems so very well done. I loved the effect that Spielberg got with the little girl in the red jacket. I think it portrayed how things are slowly advancing to become worse and worse. First view Ė little pretty girl in a red jacket walking and trying to hide. Second view Ė little girlís tangled up body awaiting to be burned.

The other part of the movie that I found extremely powerful is the same part Mango found powerful. It is the scene at the very end, where Schindler is broken and crying and where the Jews are comforting him. It is the first time in the movie where we see Schindler weak, while in the other parts of the movie he is portrayed like the man with the most power ruling over everyone Ė getting HIS way.

At the beginning Schindler only thought of HIMSELF, and how HIS production will succeed. The moment which I found most shocking was when Itzak Stern was put on a train and send away because he did not have his papers with him. Schindler came, and of course got him out of it, but the sentence that he said that will always stay in my mind is after Stern was apologizing to him, Schindler coldly stated: ďWhat if I have come 2 minutes late, where would I be then?Ē. I think what made Schindler change is when he saw the liquidation of the ghetto, and the little girl appearing in his picture. When Schindler saw what was happening to the Jews and how badly they were treated. The horrid images of Jews dieing and the puzzled and lost expression on the little girl's face. She seems to be invisible to the people on the streets, but to Schindler - the turning point on the streets. Schindler is transformed by this, but I do not think fully. I think then when he sees the girl in the red jacket again, but this time dead - he feels completely Ďtransformedí.

I think that Czechoslovakia had every right to not let Schindler back into the country. Despite the Jews Schindler rescued, he also killed many of them by selling secrets of the Czechoslovaks to the Germans. And if he did not do this, then Germany would not invade Czechoslovakia and Jewish lives would also be saved. So it is hard to say if he should be considered guilty or a hero of what he has done. Of course he is guilty of being a war criminal and selling secrets to the Germans, but on the other hand he is also a hero for saving Jewish lives in Germany and giving everything he owned for them. This is a dilemma that I cannot come in agreement with.

Once again, I say that this is a incredible movie. I think everyone should see how one man can change, how much power one man posses, how much one man can do, and how many lives can one man save...

...but on the other hand, there is always a dilemma.

Last edited by Jackie; 03-12-2006 at 09:29.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:29
student

A reflection on Schindler's List

Hey everybody!

The first time I saw Schindlerís List was on a tiny television screen up in my uncleís summer cottage near Ostrava. It was in Czech, so there was indeed a small language concern, but I have to admit the elements of the film (themes, emotions, transformations, etc.) were easily understood. I believe such components can be understood anywhere in the world, regardless of culture or language. I agree with Mars that after seeing Steven Spielbergís name up on the tiny screen, it gave me the impression that it was going to be worth watching. Incredible how names of individuals manipulate us today!

I would first like to commend Spielbergís use of black and white colour in the film, for it provides the story with an authentic texture of history and grief. Nevertheless, I can appreciate the criticism for using this tacit, since it does stream in a morose and dreary sensation while watching it. I was utterly inspired by Spielbergís brilliance in adding colour to the flames of the candle and the little childís jacket. Symbolism is a vital component in any kind of production, and particularly in this film, Spielberg portrayed it with very comprehensible messages. I believe the tinted jacket represented some of the innocence that was slaughtered in addition with the Jews all over Europe. Even small children were dumped into crematories and gas chambers just because of their identity and heritage; some werenít even old enough to recognize that they followed a religion, but all the same, they were massacred brutally as well. Tears gushed out of my eyes after seeing the red jacket of the little girl in the wagon filled with dead Jews ready to be flung into Ďbonfiresí. How can exterminations be achieved through childrenís lives? They are the most pure forms of life, with out a trace of corruption or rage within them. Why demolish that purity?

As apparent through my already-stated comments and observations, I loved the film! Even though I recognize the disgust of Oscar Schindlerís approaches towards money, business, women and power, I find his rather scheming intelligence fascinating. It is extraordinary how in the beginning of the film, it reveals Schindlerís very modest life style, yet after couple of scenes, he is already living amongst the wealth. The shot where he is in the lavish restaurant packed with Nazi officers, was one of my favorite scenes regarding his personality. With a wave of his hand and a blink of his eye, he can captivate both women and men of all ages and status. Through his charming gestures and remarks, you find him befriending all the powerful players in no time. In the next scene however, he is being showered with money and luck, with the astonishing establishment of his factory. I do admit however that his little tendency of straying with other young women is scandalous, but learning that he had a wife was unbelievable! Emilie Schindler was truly a tolerant individual to have had endured such betrayal and disrespect from a husband. I am astounded how she stayed with him through all those years, and why she stayed in that position! Being heartlessly cheated by other women is one thing, but to have other women be mistakenly claimed, as Mrs. Schindler is another.

Now proceeding to my response for the second question, Oscar Schindlerís transformation from being a ruthless businessman to a benefactor of life was breathtakingÖat least for me. Retrieving that much success and wealth in a matter of weeks is worth applauding, but to share it with thousands of others is yet another kind of applause. I believe the soul reason why Schindler gradually melted away his gluttony for money and power was through his realization and capture of the true situation outdoors. I am sure he was well informed by the conditions of the government and the new tides of laws discriminating Jews, but did he really grasp the horror of it all? Certainly NOT! It was not until he glimpsed the site of the Warsaw ghetto being annihilated, with the German Nazis killing Jews on the streets, that he realized the terror and brutality of it all. Another turning point of his character was when the Jewish woman came up to him in his factory and pleaded to rescue the lives of her parents from the labor camps. Naturally, Schindler reacted in rage and immediately consulted his former accountant (Isaac Stern), now imprisoned in the camps, on how this so-called Ďhazardousí piece of information was spread. It later occurred to him that Amon Gotz, the Nazi official, head of the labor camp, wasnít just a man doing his job, but a man thrilled at what he was doing. Schindler then commands the release for the parents of the Jewish woman that he furiously sent away. From that point on, he gradually feels sympathy for the Jews, and eventually formulates a final list of prisoners he wants to rescue to work in his factory. It is a ďlist of lifeĒ, as Stern calls it, and was stunned when Schindler mentioned he was willing to pay for each and every prisoner from his own pocket. I also love the scene where you see Schindler packing away suitcases crammed with money, only to find that this time it would not be used to suit his own purposes, but the lives of Jews. Even though he transforms into this empathetic individual, he still doesnít lose his conniving ways of persuasion, which I find pretty remarkable. Even in Auschwitz, he saved the children from being stripped away from their mothers, by lying to the Germans that they were essential workers who can be very useful with their small hands. So, even though his talents were previously used for self-seeking reasons only, Schindler took advantage of it in order to save the lives of thousands of Jews. All in all, Oscar Schindler was an extraordinary character towards the end of the Second World War, however even though he is celebrated as a hero, history still proves that he was a traitor, which leads me to my final response.

If you recall our previous discussions on guilt, Oscar Schindler was well indeed proven guilty and responsible for exposing military secrets, regardless of the measures he took to save the Jews. Hence, I see nothing wrong of regarding him as a war criminal because as MANGO said, without him the Germans would have less of an opportunity to invade. If youíre guilty, youíre guilty; there are no other exceptions to it. However, I still think history should praise him for his dedication to preserve Jewish life in the midst of war. As Stern intentionally stated, ďYou [Schindler] have saved so many generations.Ē To Schindler, saving only about 1000 was probably too little, however if he had taken that figure and extended it to several decades, he would have seen at least two or three generations saved through his thoughtful work and devotion. Creating a special burial site or any other kind of commemoration is very reasonable for a man like this, despite his betrayal for his country.

Forgive me for writing this massive response, but I just have so much to say about the film! I would just like to conclude by saying how truthfully I loved it. Every small fragment of the movie I valued as being essential for the whole, but so beautifully sewed together. Some critics sometimes claim these World War II movies as just simple Jewish propaganda or advertisements. It is propaganda I have to admit, but a worthy one to expose, in order to grasp full attention of the public towards the real history of Jews during World War II. Even though we can never personally experience what they endured, we can at least see glimpses of what might have happened through movies, novels and other sources. That, I think is enough for us students to face.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27
student

Thumbs up Schindler's List

Schindlerís List is a film masterpiece; itís incredible how Spielberg incorporated so many personal stories and details into one movie. Schindlerís List is one of those rich films that you can watch again and again, still discovering new details. I thought it was a good decision to have the film in black and white, and an even better idea to add the small touches of colour such as the little girl in the red jacket. I really enjoyed the acting in this film because the three male leads played such contrasting characters. Ben Kingsley was simultaneously funny and heart wrenching as Yitzak Stern, and his almost unfaltering poker face was accented by Liam Neesonís pure charisma. I really enjoyed the Stern/Schindler scenes because they were so varied. I think itís good that Ben Kingsley held back his emotions as Stern, because it made the audience more involved in their relationship. Even when Schindler saved Stern from the train that was already setting off for Auschwitz, there was a certain amount of restraint and distance between them. Their relationship grew throughout the movie, and the climax of this growth was when Stern finally accepted a drink from Schindler. Another interesting change in their relationship was when Stern finally realizes that Schindler is paying for the Jews out of his own pocket. We can see the realization going on in Sternís mind as his opinion of Schindler is suddenly changed. Ralph Fiennes performance as Amon Goeth was incredible. I really liked the way he decided to play the character. At first Goeth was the stereotypical Nazi Ė thickly accented, cold, selfish, brutal, and unforgiving. As the movie progresses we see that he is not as resolute in his hatred as one would think; his love for the Jewish housekeeper shows us that even Nazis cannot be immune to incompatible love. In his internal struggle for power and identity Goeth has to decide whether to follow the life of a good Jew-hating Nazi or to marry the woman he loves. I really began to feel bad for Goeth because he knows that he canít have everything he wants Ė something will have to be let go of. This is something almost impossible for a man used to having everything and everyone at his beck and call. I believe this turmoil is what made Goeth so cruel. He wanted power, but when he followed Schindlerís advice about power he saw that what he really wanted was not power Ė but control. Goeth was my favourite character because to me he seems so much more complex than Stern and Schindler. Goeth is greatly flawed, and I always find that to be so much more interesting than the self-righteous characters who save the day. Iím glad that Goeth never really abandoned his Nazi philosophy; he played the perfect Nazi up until his death Ė he saluted and yelled hail Hitler right up until the second the chair was kicked out Ė with some difficulty Ė from under him. This is so much more realistic than having him break down into tears and go beg forgiveness from every Jew he wronged. I agree with Lari Lamb in that Schindler might not have been accurately portrayed. I appreciate that Spielberg didnít deify him by erasing all his flaws such as selfishness and a certain love for the ladies, but I do believe that more of his struggle could have been shown as his reasons for taking the Jews to his factories changes. I feel that Schindler was a more complex and flawed person than the person portrayed in the movie.

Now that Iím trying to do this posting I feel like watching the movie again, because Iím trying to remember exactly how Schindlerís purpose changed. Itís obvious that at the beginning of the film Schindler was only looking for cheap labour, but it wasnít till the scene where he is given the ring that he really realizes how many lives he has saved, and how many more he could have if he had sold his fancy things. I think there was a gradual change in Schindlerís intentions with the Jews. At the beginning they are practical laborers, but Yitzhak is already sneaking Jews into the factory that really arenít skilled workers. Yitzhak continues to bring unskilled workers to the factory, and I think Schindler knew what Yitzhak was doing, but he never really said anything. When the one-armed machinist came to thank Schindler for saving his life Schindler was disgusted and didnít want to hear it. I think this was because the man had mistaken Schindler for someone with much more noble intentions, and this made Schindler feel guilty. He was really using the people for cheap labour, but some of his employees thought it was out of kindness. I think the pinnacle of Schindlerís change was when he met with the young woman who begged him to take her parents into the factory. The fact that she had to dress provocatively to get an appointment shows that he was still an absolute ladies man, and when she makes her request he yells at her and pushes her out the door. Once again, he hates hearing that his factory has become a ďsafe havenĒ because that is not what he intended it to be. After the woman leaves, he realizes that he canít live with the deaths of two old Jews on his conscience, and he takes them into the factory. This is the first decision that Schindler made - without Yitzhakís manipulation Ė to bring unskilled workers into his factory simply to save their lives. After this Schindlerís righteousness increases, and we see this in examples such as the provision of water to the thirsty Jews trapped inside the trains. When Schindler did this he was publicly helping Jews, and he couldnít hide behind the excuse that they were important to his factory. Its after this event that Schindler pays for over 1000 Jews to come work in his factory, and after this itís evident that Schindler has lost a lot of his selfishness because heís parting with millions of Reichmarks to save the lives of people that wonít benefit him in any way. Schindler goes bankrupt by providing the Jews with jobs and food, and concurrently running a factory of exemplary non-production. During these months of non-production Schindler was helping the Jews, but he was also living a luxurious lifestyle. In the final scene of the movie, as heís getting ready to flee, heís presented with a ring that reads ďone who saves a single life saves the entire world.Ē This genuine act of gratitude Ė a recurring theme in the movie Ė causes him to break down and realize that he could have saved hundreds if not thousands of more lives if he had owned a few less cars, and been less reckless in his spending. I think itís this scene in which Schindler finally digests the weight of a single life, and instead of thinking of those he saved, he thinks about those burning in Auschwitz that he did not save. I really feel that itís not until this scene that Schindler loses his selfishness.

I think that itís fair that Schindler was considered a war criminal in Czechoslovakia. Even though he saved over a thousand Jews in his factory he still betrayed his native country and indirectly caused more death of his countrymen. However, I do agree with Mango that this is a huge dilemma because if he hadnít betrayed his country Ė therefore gaining the trust of Nazis such as Goeth - he might not have been able to save the Jews. I do believe that he should never have betrayed his country, whatever the reason, and because of this he deserved to remain a war criminal in Czechoslovakia. Anyways, I donít think that any of the Jews he saved were Czech, so it didnít really pay back the Czechs in any way. If Schindler has rescued Czech Jews, his previous treachery might have been forgiven by the Czech government, but as far as I know, none of the Jews he rescued were Czech.
Old 03-12-2006, 13:38
student

I think this was one of the only movies i have ever cried in. it was so emotionally draining. I couldn't stop thinking about it afterwards, i even had trouble sleeping. there were so many times i wanted to cover my eyes but i didnt because i was so into the story.

I think oscar schindler is one of the most complicated person i have ever heard of. he is not a nice person. he was an active member of the Nazi party and played a large part in the direction of Germanys actions. we can blame him all we want but the fact remains that he did an amazing thing for the schindler Jews. in the movie i think the moment he begins to change his opinion of the Jews is when he meets isaac stern. as schindler saw what a good worker, and person in general, he felt less hostile towards jews. i think he also began to see that even though Jews were supposed scum, nobody deserved to be treated so inhumanely.

Schindler put his neck on the line for the Jews. He risked everything to save a relative few of them. He gave up all his money and his credibility so that 1000 of them lvied. i think those actions show schindler as a true hero.

schindler was not a perfect person, no one is. he did good things and bad things. i think that it was resonable for him to be considered a war criminal in the czech republic. banning him from the country was not irresonable. despite the fact that he was a nazi and betrayed millions of people, he did save a 1000 Jews. That action should not go unnoticed. he should be honored for the good he did and punished for the bad. schindler was not a good man, but he is a hero in my eyes.
Old 03-12-2006, 14:13
student

I have to be honest, Iím not interested in any historical movie. However , Schindlerís List is a special case for me. Although Iíve been looking for some docutments, sources of the Holocaust, this time, Schindlerís List shows the fact in the Holocaust, specificallly guide us to each steps of the Holocaust. That made me could feel how did the Jews were been treated during the Holocaust. Itís so touchable.
Before I watch the movie, I though all the Nazi members are evil, they donít care of the others( Jews ) more or less. After I watch the entire movie, my mind changed alot. Like the character in the movie, Oscar Schindler. At the begining, Schindler only wanted to use the Jews, because the Jews would not cost much money. However, by the time, when Sternís and Schindlerís relationship became more closer, not basically are the relationship of employment, they became friends. Schindler tried to understand Stern, not only Stern, but he tried to understand Jews in general. Probably Stern talks some horrible stories about how did the Germans been treated Jews. That made Schindler think more about Jews, and eventually his mind, which are tied and did his best to help Jews, gave as much as he could to help the Jews to leave the dangerous positions. I thought Oscar Schindler has a strong personality to face everything, and control everything though the entire movie. Until the very end of the movie, where Schindler is saying good bye to all the Jews , he keeps repeating ď I could save more.ď Schindler finally have no power to controlled himself, he fell down and cried. I cried too. Schindler cried because he is a real person at the moment. ( all the Nazi members are under Adolf Hitlerís control, they are not themselves, they only follow what did Hitler told them to do ), Schindler did so many bad things before, when he realized the bad things , itís too late to save more. He felt guilty. Schindler though only save more Jews could exchange his guilty. However, he had no time.
In Czechoslovakia, Schindler was considered to be a war criminal for his betrayal of sensitive military information which allowed the German military to invade on March 15,1939. to all the Jews ,Schindler was a hero in the movie. Would it be different if he didnít have to flee. What would Schindler do? Would he still helping the rest of Jews? In order to keep the good relationship with the German government and the people who had the high position in the German army, what would Schindler do?
Old 03-12-2006, 14:49
student

Scindler was a hero of his time...

Schindlerís List was an extremely moving film. Schindler is a good man overall. He rescued thousands of Jews from torture and death, but somehow, the idea of the list is so scary. These Jews he saved to just too lucky compared to their people. Fate sometimes is so cruel. Just because they knew Schindler, they were rescued. I find that idea difficult to handle. What about the other Jews? When the train of Jews got mixed up and sent to Auschwitz; I keep thinking, why donít he just take the other train that he was offered? They were innocent too. They just as much deserve to live as the Jews he was intended to save. Personally, because of that one action I canít think of him as a true hero. What he did was indeed heroic but some of its components bother me.
I believe that Schindlerís change from a selfish profiteer to selfless rescuer was a gradual process. I agree with Fibe when he/she said his first change of heart was when Stern brought him the one-arm man to thank him. Because right than, I think he felt ashamed. He felt ashamed when the one-arm expressed his gratitude because Schindler knew deep inside he shouldnít be thank for. Before the incident, he was still the ambitious business man. He didnít have feelings for anyone, especially the Jews. When the one-arm man thanked him, he heart flickered just a tiny out of shame. Even tough he was angry instantly at Stern, but he still accepted it. When he was being question by a SS officer, that was when Schindler made up his mind and defend the one-arm man. When the Jewish girl came to Schindler for her parents, Schindler again was hard first than helped the girl. He was mad at first that his factory was being called a heaven, but I think deep down he felt good. That incident is where his interest for the Jews inclines sharply.
I am a nationalistic person, therefore what I think Czechoslovakia is not wrong in pinning him as a war criminal. If he betrayed a country, not matter what goods he have done, he is still a betrayer. Yet, Schindler overall is a good person, especially when you compare him with someone like Amon. Schindler is just human; humans are not perfect. Nobody in this world has no faults. What Schindler has done is extraordinary because so few have done something like it during that period. He couldíve of taken the money and enjoyed rest of his life in riches. What he chose instead was not a path just anybody would take. He risked everything he had to save people who werenít even his kind. Like I said before, I felt disturbed when he demanded for his list of people when he could have saved others. And he was considered a war criminal, but so what? He could of from the start to finish just cared about himself and run off with all his money. He didnít, he saved people by sharing his wealth. Scindler was a hero of his time
Old 03-12-2006, 17:05
student

Schindler's List

Hello, everyone!

Well, first, Iíd like to say that Schindlerís List was quite a dramatic movie. Spielberg had done an awesome job in portraying the horror of the Holocaust quite vividly. From time to time I had to close my eyes at the parts where the Jews were killed brutally. The most powerful parts of the movie for me had been the part with the girl in the reddish jacket. When she hid under the bed unnoticed by anyone I thought for sure sheíd survive and come out safely one day. But the next time we saw her she was a mangled corpse being carried away to be burned. It was a sad and shocking scene to see. But then, the girl sent us a silent message about the hopelessness of the whole situation. Overall the movie was touching and captivating to watch. Oh, and also a bonus point for the black-and-white screens. That helped send a stronger message to the audience.

For the answer of the first question, I think the reason Schindler had come to change his mind about the Jews was because he was able interact with them. While other people had not encountered Jews as much since the war broke out or had seen them in concentration camps where they were hardly human, Schindler had hundreds of Jews working for him, and when he was acquainted with them he was able to see them as equal human beings rather than an inferior race. He may have then decided to save the Jews once he had realized that they were human just like he was. As for the first time Schindler had started to change, it was the part when the ghetto was being liquidated, and he was watching the whole scene riding a horse. You could see that Schindlerís had had some change of mind since then because of his pained expression as he saw Jews running and getting shot by the Nazis. Another scene where he had significantly changed was when he hired the parents of the woman who asked for a place for them. At first he seemed angry that ďunskilledĒ people are asking to be accepted at the factory, but after looking troubled he had given in to the womanís request, regardless the fact that the parents were quite old people.

For the last question, no, I donít think Czechoslovakia is wrong to maintain Schindlerís status as war criminal. On the other hand, it would have been quite surprising if Schindlerís status had changed after the war. Regardless that heís saved hundreds of lives of Jews, the fact remains that he had still turned over his country to the enemy. Nothing that Schindler have done would change his act of high treason. After all, if Schindler had not passed over the information to the Germans, Czechoslovakia may have not been invaded. Iím sure that any government would do just as same in this situation. He have been a hero to the Jews, and it was also a brave and heroic thing he did, trying to save them by using up all his riches and even risking his own safety, but in the eyes of the government he is still a treacherous man.
Closed Thread