Go Back   Discussions > Archive > Discussions > Facing History 2000-2001 > Purple Class

Old 02-10-2001, 00:30

I'm starting this thread, folks in Prague and in Boston, because most of the Boston students are about to go to Washington, DC (8+ hours away by train) to visit the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Most people going have never been there. Everyone who has been there says it's a powerful, moving experience.

If you are interested in looking at the museum online, see their website http://www.ushmm.org.

I'm a Mandel Fellow at the Museum this year, so I am a little close to the subject to comment extensively, but I'd like everyone in both Prague and in Boston to weigh on this: what's the purpose of such a museum? Who are these museums for? Do they contribute to our understanding of history? Should they be built and exist?

And for that matter, what role do memorials to the Holocaust and related events serve? Note the Washington museum's name is the U.S. Holocaust MEMORIAL Museum. What is the purpose of such memorializing?

So museums and memorializing are our topics for the moment. What are your thoughts?

[Edited by freemanjud on 02-09-2001 at 10:35 PM]
Old 02-13-2001, 09:52
student

Red face

i think that there definetly should be mueseums about the Holocaust, i feel that everyone has the right to learnn about the tragic event and understand it. it isn't something that should be forgotton about, or left alone. it happened, it is real and it shouldn't be ignored. the meuseum should also be made in memory of all those inoccent people who lost their lives during it.
Old 02-13-2001, 10:11
student

Question but on the other hand...

well, it is also very terrifying for the people who lived through it. they might be hurt by a memorial or it may bring back bad memories. this may damage them mentally.
this is probably a bad comment, i don't really agree with it myself, but it is a different way of looking at the idea of having a memorial.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:44
student

I think that these museums are ok. Maybe they shouldn't be called memorials, however, because memorials usually have a positive conotation. They are something you WANT to remember. The holocaust is something we HAVE to remember. It is neccessary that people are informed of what happened so they will be able to recognize future problems of this caliber.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:47
student

Red face

These museums are used to further our knowledge on the subject of the Holocaust. This in necessary because it will help us to avoid making the same mistakes later on, because we will learn from the past. Althought the Holocaust was a terrible time in the world's history, it must be talked abuot and evaluated to avoid a recourrence of a similar tragedy. Men.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:50
student

Red face

Yes, I think there should be memorials like the Holocuast Musuem. They remind people of what happend in the past and what we should prevent from happening again. They also give us a chance to learn more about the Holocaust and the truth.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:55
student

Thumbs up

While it is true that most museums exist for the purpose of entertainment, they serve another purpose as well. They are there to provide an alternate method of learning. They take the subject out of the classroom and into real life by displaying actual artifacts or momentos from certain periods in history. As disturbing as some of the subject matter may be, it is always important to FACE History. Besides the learing aspect of it, it is also important to remember for the sake of the victims and survivors of tragedies such as the Holocaust. We can't just forget that it happened. It's part of our history whether we like it or not. To disregard it would be like saying the survivors' struggles were vain. So, although the museum doesn't reflect our world's shining moments in history, it is our history. We have to accept that, learn from it , and respect those who survived it.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:57
student

Red face

Tragedies, such as, the Holocaust are unforgetable moments in history that can't and shouldnt be forgetten. To forget that event would ultimately lead to it's reoccurence in the future. Without properly informing society of the atrocities that happened and the path that led up this happening we can't expect to stop this from happening. Museums allow for a display, that while it isn't the most pleasant display, it would or should show the facts and not allow for rumors and mysteries surface and circulate throughout society. These rumors would turn the Holocaust into a folklore and not the horrific act it was. So i dont see why there shouldn't be Holocaust muesums.
Old 02-13-2001, 15:59
student

Museums such as the various ones which are deicated to the Holocaust are very important to have around in the world today. They are a constant reminder of the terrible occurences and mistakes which were made in the past. Furthermore, they prevent governments. etc. from coveing up such tragedies and trying to conceal them as if they never took place. Such is the case with the Armenian Genocide. Therefore, by having museumas around, we have a sort of record of what occured. Also, by having these museums around we will be able to make educated decisions in the future and prevent such atrocities from taking place in years to come.
Some feel that these types of museums should not exist. They think that it is too sensitive of a subject, or that the misfortunes of others should not be put on display for the whole world to see. however, it is mandatory that this information be available for all to see, for it will be a helpful way to keep these thing from happening again.
Old 02-13-2001, 16:00
student

Red face

These museums are used to further our knowledge on the subject of the Holocaust. This in necessary because it will help us to avoid making the same mistakes later on, because we will learn from the past. Althought the Holocaust was a terrible time in the world's history, it must be talked abuot and evaluated to avoid a recourrence of a similar tragedy. Men.
Old 02-13-2001, 16:02
student

Location: I'm reppin' Dorchester (Cape Verdean ville) LIKE WHOA!!!!
I think that there should be museums about the Holocaust because, think about it, there are museums to shw everything else that occurred in history, from Ancient Egypt to the Renaissance, so the Holocaust should be no exception. I just came back from our class trip to Washington D.C. I found the museum quite moving. I definitely agree that the museum is necessary because it shows a tragic time in history, the steps that led to it, the people persecuted, and the steps ending it...and we all need to make sure that genocides cease existing!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2001, 16:03
student

Lightbulb

Any historical event that leaves behind evidence is worthy of a museum. The purpose of a museum is to record information and events. Whether or not people enjoy viewing the evidence, or not, is up to those who attend. The Holocaust was a major historical event, which despite efforts to the contrary, left behind a great deal of evidence as to both it's existance and purpose. The records of the events that composed the Holocaust should not be destroyed or hidden. The only type of place in which such information can be made available is a museum.
Old 02-13-2001, 22:03

So there seems to be a consensus. Now here's another question

So we all seem to support the notion of Holocaust-focused museums. Now here's a challenge: whether you've been to one of these museums or not, identify five objects/photos/texts/films etc. that you would definitely put into one of these museums and explain why you selected them. How would these 5 items create an understanding of the Holocaust?
Old 02-14-2001, 05:26
student

I definately think that there should be museums for the holocost. I think that everyone has the right to learn about any tragic event that has happened, and agreat way for that person to learn is to visit places that show what had happened like a Museum.

ciao
Old 02-14-2001, 07:17
student

Red face

freeman judd, i really don't understand the commment you are trying to make, what is the point???? i agree wity MC11, that people should learn about it so it doesn't occur in the future again. GOOD COMMENTS! i agree with nost of them!
------------nikola---------isp-------------
Old 02-14-2001, 11:22
student

Hey Nikola, thanx for that, cuz I didnt really know. Yeah, I agree that there should be memorials, but not only for Jews but for the Armenians and other people that suffered. Nikola, on one of the points you made earlier without agreeing yourself, well I dont eather, because remebering should be a nice thing and feeling sad is natural but keeps alive the memory of a dead person.

bye bye
Old 02-14-2001, 19:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikola.isp
freeman judd, i really don't understand the commment you are trying to make, what is the point????
Nikola,

What I've asked you to do is come up with what you would put in an ideal museum devoted to this subject. What objects/photos/films/etc. would you put in this place? Why? The point of doing that is that many of us have differing perspectives on what messages are sent or ought to be sent from Holocaust museums.

By learning what objects you and your colleagues on both sides of the Atlantic would put in a museum/memorial of this sort, we can get a more precise idea of the role those museums are to fill.

Old 02-15-2001, 05:16
student

Cool Freemanjud,

i see what you are tryig to say, but i don't really think that it is the objects that matter that much, but more of the memory, that is really important. but i guess you need to have object to trigger that memory. i dunno..byebye
Old 02-15-2001, 07:54
student

Freemanjud, I think pictures and movies are objects that should be put in a museum, but the most effective museum of all are still the concentration camps themselves. It is a lot easier to sympathise with the holocaust survivers after you have been in a place like that, even if it's just a tour. I dont think one can immagine the atmosphere without having been there.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:26
student

I think that one of the things should be Mein Kampf which tells us why the holocaust happened. Another thing should be a drawing from one of the children in any of the camps. Third would be a seen or a story of someone who actually survived the holocaust. I am always interested in these stories. Fourth could be a reflection from someone whose family was murdered during the holocaust. These people allways have something to say about holocaust. The last thing would be a picture that has some thought-provoking idea. Like the black smoke coming of the chimneys in a camp.