Go Back   Discussions > Archive > Discussions > Facing History 2008-2009 > 2008-2009 Section 61 Wallaby

Old 10-22-2008, 23:58
student

Exclamation White Privilege doesn’t exist as much and to the extent we think it does…

I don’t think there is more of an advantage for people that have white skin than for people that have other skin colors as. One case I can think of where skin color would prevent you from getting for example, a job, only depends on the person interviewing you and if they are racist or not. Overall though, I think in today’s society, the majority of the time, everyone is treated pretty much the same, or at least from what I have seen. However, I do think that some people have privileges because of money, beauty etc…but no one has more privilege than another person in regard to race.

If we were to say that there are privileges that people have because of their race, it wouldn’t be for the whites. Like starprincess was talking about the example of his/her friend and the job application, I think nowadays the minorities have more privileges than the whites because businesses and colleges accept them over whites so that they don’t seem racist.

I don’t think I’ve ever been at an advantage because of my race. I have however felt like I have been treated in a way better because of reasons unknown. For example, when my friend and I would go to a McDonalds, every time we ordered, the person would always give us either extra fries or extra burgers, free of charge. This has happened to me numerous times in other kinds of stores as well. I’m not sure why, but I really don’t think it’s because of my race because the race and gender of the people that were working when I was there have varied.
Old 10-23-2008, 00:07
student

As I was reading the articles, I had heard of the idea of white privilege, but I never really understood what it really meant. After reading the article by Peggy McIntosh, my views about white privilege became even more obscured. I thought white privilege was more historically based with the ideas about racial divisions and blacks not being equal to whites. I agree with peakathtestars and beanredsox that as a society we have been moving away from this and are advancing in regards to race. Although this is proving to be a slow process, and it abundantly clear that racism and discrimination occur constantly, and that stereotypes will never just disappear. I don’t think it is clear that one race has privileges and one race faces discrimination, in such a distinct manner. There have definitely been instances where this is true, and in the past it was completely true, but I have never considered myself better off because I am white. Race is such a construct that it is completely unnecessary to use it as the basis for divisions. I have heard people use pronouns to contrast between races. There are the others, which are considered the “they”. I believe that society is advancing and moving away from this type of racism, but in some people I think that referring to others with these pronouns is inherent.

I think that what Peggy McIntosh is saying is really not true. Although there may be truth on occasion, her list is forced and I believe it really requires effort to discriminate in that manner. I feel that a lot of the examples are not distinctly related to race. It has more to do with societies enforced class distinctions than race. Also many are outdated and I don’t know how she came up with the list. I agree with oceanofdarknes that she displays an extreme bias throughout the article, and her life experiences do not equal those of all whites and therefore she should not make broad generalizations as if these are completely applicable to all. She also seems to appreciate her so-called advantages, even though to me white privilege seems to me to be a notion promoted by white people which shouldn’t exist. Any of these things should be available to any race and I think a lot of the time, they are. I agree with nadabee1 that this is really evident in the example about medical care. This is not and should not be an example of white privilege. I have heard about discrepancies in care, but whenever I have heard this example, as did theoneandonly, it was related to health care coverage and poor people. This shows that instead of white privilege we have a monetary related privilege. I disagree with sailorvstar, because I feel that the idea of white privilege is becoming less and less seen in today’s society, and it is morphing into this concept of class. I know that there is definitely discrimination occurring in society, but I feel it is becoming less and less, and that white privilege isn’t as clearly defined as before. The Tim Wise article, “Explaining White Privilege”, talked about how money was not an influence in this type of privilege. I completely disagree and I think that it is the basis for the any of these notions of white privilege. It has nothing to do with the race of a person, but I think that any person who is less wealthy regardless of their race will have fewer opportunities than a wealthier person.

On another note, I think that the Wise article, “This is Your Nation on White Privilege”, regarding the election brought up great examples of inconsistencies that have been seen in the campaign. I think that every example could be seen from both sides, and that I am sure that there have been something addressed with McCain that haven’t been done with Obama. Wise fails to present both sides of the issue as cupcakes08 discussed, and it frustrating how he tries to apply everything to white privilege, even when it really is irrelevant. Regardless of this, the treatment of Obama has been completely unfair. I don’t think this is occurring because he is black, I think it is occurring because McCain feels threatened by Obama and believes that questioning him in any way possible will help establish his legitimacy as a candidate. Many of these examples are, as Ms. Freeman said, “incendiary words” and I think that these words are just words and don’t really provide the necessary commentary on race relations.

I was extremely frustrated by the point raised in “Explaining White Privilege”, regarding disabled people. It is not an accurate analogy to compare minorities with disabled people. It is highly irrelevant and I don’t think that minorities experience the same difficulties as disabled people. Minorities definitely at times do not receive equal opportunity, as do the disabled. Minorities do not have anything that should be hindering them in society. This should be the same case with the disabled, but there are certain things a disabled person may be unable to do. Minorities should not have to feel held back solely because of their race. I believe society is working towards fixing this necessary thing. The comparison to the disabled made absolutely no sense to me, and I felt that Wise was just looking for a way to defend himself from the criticism by any means necessary. I agree with lida that Wise did not consider what he was saying. I like that Wise is very honest and frank with his words, but like cupcakes08 I feel that sometimes his judgment is off.

Like nadabee1 , starfish14 and many others, I have never noticed myself earning privileges that weren’t deserved. I really hope that I am not receiving anything more than someone of a different race, and also hope that I am not being ignorant about these privileges. The notion of white privilege really disturbs me as lida discussed. It can very well be eliminated if everyone believes that the work the do is equal and that their race will not be a factor. Race should not seem like a hindrance and something that holds a person down. Instilling the notion of white privilege reinforces the divisions among races and only builds the tension. I hope that if and when Barack Obama is elected, some of these notions can be forever disregarded. I agree completely with mango717 that discrimination is the issue here and it must be addressed. It is hard to change a racially divided society, and it worries me that once we move on from race, class will become the next issue, and as cheezits pointed out gender is also another division. I think that any difference between people in society can lead to different treatment, and it is impossible to always realize when it is occurring because it is dependent on every person’s perception of others, and their feelings regarding discrimination among other factors.
Old 10-23-2008, 00:51
student

Perspective

For as long as I can remember I have been taught to acknowledge the privileges that come with being considered a "white American". So I definitely believe that white privilege exists. All of these articles about white privilege are nothing short of amusing to me. The passion of the authors is so intense that I can’t help but laugh because to me what they are discussing is something as clear as day, white people are generally treated better in America. It’s been that way since the country was founded, so for anyone to try to deny that such advantages exist is just unrealistic in my opinion. All of the articles of course were exaggerated to prove the individual points of the authors, but the underlying idea that white is right, no matter what light you put it in.

I think that Tim Wise’s idea that privilege is the upside to discrimination is a very interesting way of looking at the situation as a whole. But if you think about it even that can go both ways. I think that it all depends on the context of the situation and what one considers “privilege” to be. For example, some might see that there are a lot of minorities in subsidized housing, housing that in Boston, is being renovated and made to look nicer. A lot of this housing is located in easy access areas and some may see the fact that minorities benefit more from such living conditions as a privilege. However, there are others that see owning your own home as better then renting a home for very small prices and to them such housing can be seen as a disadvantage. It all depends on ones perspective, to an extent. When Wise talked about how affirmative action can not be considered a privilege, I had to agree, because to me affirmative action is simply whites acknowledging the fact that they are privileged and trying to make their own conscience rest easier because they helped some people get to places that they didn’t have to struggle to be at. However, some people who have been elevated by affirmative action would consider a privilege because when compared to others in of their same race they got the hand up. Again it’s all about perspective.

On another note, I completely agree with the ideas expressed in the “I am not a racist” article. If whites were to do anything that the author of that article purposed they would be considered racist and I agree with starfish14, that the truth in that is wrong because all racism is wrong. However, that is just one of the bad hits that white people have to deal with, whites do have to be greatly concerned with being seen as racist because that could possibly put their lives in danger, but I feel like all “races” to watch what they say and do around each other because they all have something against them, and although I’m not sure if we would be better off without such judgments as nadabee1 claims, we defiantly would be able to be more free in our speech and treatment of one another.

One thing that I found amusing about today’s class (Oct. 22, 2008) was that people were saying that Obama is called an “uppity black” which to me refers to a black person who is said to be acting “white” because they are trying to advance themselves, but then was also called a terrorist Muslim Arab. So does this mean that Obama is a Muslim Arab who is a terrorist because he is trying to act white, from that can I conclude that well off “white” people are terrorists as well since that is what Obama is striving to be? To me that just doesn’t make sense. I feel like if one were to take all the different names that each candidate has been given and put them together in one sentence they would be able to see just how ridiculous these accusations are.

Finally I just want to comment on theoneandonly’s remarks. People always want what they don’t have, the world if filled with unsatisfied people, that is why we have failures and that is why we have progress, I don’t think that other races look at each other and say “ Man, I wish I was that color”, but I do think that individual people look at each other and hope to be what “good” they see in others. That is all I have to say about that.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06
student

White privilege is a term that I have come across in the past, but I have never seriously considered it or thought about it much until now. According to those such as Tim Wise and Peggy McIntosh, white people have special rights and civil liberties. More so with Tim Wise than Peggy McIntosh, who seems more extreme and “biased,” he seems to address many facts about “white privilege” in his piece on the presidential contest because Obama is black and does not have “white privileges”. Now I doubt that he is pulling all of these facts out of a hat and writing liberally about them, but I feel that I agree with students who said he was a little too nitpicky. A conservative could have just as well written a piece on Senator Obama and called him Senator “Osama.” In my opinion I do not feel that candidates should base their form of attack on what the other candidate is or has done. I feel that candidates should attack with what they plan on bringing to the white house, as opposed to the other candidate’s voting record, or a running mate’s family. As for the I am not racist, but it’s true piece, I believe that a lot of that stuff is really true. As for WET or White history month, it would be considered racist by many. However, I feel that this is simply due to the fact that America has been a predominantly white country. I do not want to seem offensive, but white people simply have always been the more privileged. Whites controlled black slaves, whites controlled Asian worked in gold mines, and whites controlled Japanese in internment camps. In my mind it isn’t entirely racist, because if blacks can have a Black Entertainment Television, why can’t whites? They can, it’s just the fact that it will be perceived as racist.

To discuss more about white privilege, I do feel that it still exists in our society today. I feel some whites do have some advantages over others that are not white.

Quote:
That's the point: privilege is the flipside of discrimination. If people of color face discrimination, in housing, employment and elsewhere, then the rest of us are receiving a de facto subsidy, a privilege, an advantage in those realms of daily life. There can be no down without an up, in other words.
In the above excerpt from Tim Wise’s piece, I can agree on the certain benefits that some whites have such as discrimination in housing and employment. I know that people of color definitely face more discrimination and stereotypes than people who are not. For example, people who are “Muslim” are always Arabic and are terrorists or people who are “black” are always violent and live in the “ghetto.” These stereotypes are stereotypes because some Muslims are Arabic and some of them are terrorists. Some blacks are violent and live in slums. It is the same with whites. White people can be Arabic; they can be terrorists, violent and live in the ghetto. They can be all four at once. It is simply more so stereotypical for those who aren’t white because of events such as 9/11 that raise our awareness for those such as “Muslims.” So yes, I do believe that there is an inherent, unspoken advantage if one is white, or others perceive one to be white or white skinned.

I have to agree with what Tim Wise says about privilege being the up while discrimination is the down. Not to say down is necessarily bad, but people relate down to Hell and such other malignant things, while up is Heaven, and benign objects. Being privileged is definitely a plus side, while being discriminated against is obviously not desired. To continue, in our world, what kind of person would want to be denied an opportunity simply because of their race? No one. Tim Wise’s words are part of the “bigger picture” of a society about a privileged we and a marginalized they. Most people are always going to say “me first.” They care more about themselves than others. No one is really at fault about that, until we get to a bigger picture. I feel that if we incorporate people similar to ourselves to form the “we” and leave others not like us to the “they” group we do have this bigger picture of the privileged versus the underprivileged or the discriminated.

To address white privilege a little bit more, I believe there is also a downside. That is, affirmative action. I feel that people should be given opportunities such as employment and education based on their ability and ethics. Not because “we” prefer whites NOR because we need a specific percentage of minorities. So in a sense, white privilege pros and cons for whites, because it could either help them with the obvious benefits, but it could also hurt them because of the required percentages of minorities in some cases.

And last but not least, a case in which I have enjoyed a special privilege is most likely a sale on a cell phone package. I remember a while back, my family and I were shopping for new cell phones and we were assisted by a salesman of the same race. He was a manager and simply gave us an extra 20% discount on our entire package because we were the same race, when no one else in the store received any discount. I didn’t say anything because, honestly who doesn’t want a deal, but I do in a way think it’s wrong, even though I’m sure it happens to everyone.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47
student

International Children's Day

To start off, when I was reading the piece you gave us on “I’m Not Racist But It’s True”, this post, in some odd way reminded me about something my mother and I had once debated when I was very young. One day, on the occurrence of one early morning mother’s day after having woken up early to give her the handful of flowers I had picked and the third grade paper Mache card I had made in school that week, I asked her pouting why we didn’t celebrate kid’s day like all my other relatives did who lived outside of the country. I didn’t understand why she neglected this part of our culture. She pulled me close and responded that everyday was children’s day and that it was everyday she would lay out my breakfast for me and make sure I had on the right socks before I loaded onto the buss, and make sure I had a nice peanut butter and jelly sandwich tucked away into my lunchbox. These things were always there for me, even though I never noticed them. Therefore they didn’t need to be celebrated on one specific day, because they happened covertly across day to day life.

This made me think about the message the anonymous online poster was making about arguing for the prevalence of a “White History Month” to balance out Black History Month and so forth. I feel like a similar argument can be made, that without knowing it, these white privileges which I had never noticed before eradicates the need for the celebration of the white race. That in a way, the white race has already always had White History Month so to speak- as history has traditionally been predominantly characterized in our text books by white founding fathers and the sailing of the Mayflower and so forth. I don’t really know how to phrase the thought that I’m trying to say, but I feel like something needs to be done to balance our lives and eliminate the “downs” of discrimination for some and the “ups” of white privileges for others, that we should all live on an even keel.

Therefore, I am also displeased to hear so much criticism of Tim Wise’s article- “This is Your Nation on White Privilege” because I think he brought up some rather relevant points about specifics about not just how in general people are discriminated against, but on individual examples of every day people and how these examples have affected areas of politics and the intellectual leaders of this country. I feel like if we always are so quick to cut people up for their work, no problems of any significance will ever get addressed or acquire the attention they so desperately deserve just because they are racy and no one is willing to put their first leg out in trying to avoid getting chewed over and spit out by the critical eye of the conservative and naïve public.

I do, however, agree with some of my class mates that the article by Peggy McIntosh was not fully up to today’s speed and that not everything on her list of white privileges is still relevant today. For example, I feel like number 24 from her article (“I can be pretty sure that if I asked to talk to the “person in charge”, I will be facing a person of my race.”) is not necessarily true at all and that I hope America has changed somewhat from the 20 years ago when she wrote it. I do agree with peakatthestars on this point, that as inhabitants of Boston, we are quick to pin point statements that don’t seem true to us, having lived in such a liberal city of such widely accepted and embraced diversity and that perhaps these issues greatly differ in terms of geographical location, class, religion, ethnic status, etc.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:06
student

My understanding of white privilege is that basically the whole issue stems from not just discrimination, but from everyday stereotypes which cause the discrimination and lead to white privileges. Being a minority I myself thought it was really interesting to have this discussion in class to see whether or not people took it offensively or even agreed that they do receive privileges. I agree with many people who stated that white privilege has definitely faded since Peggy McIntosh wrote her article which is why we find it to be so extreme, bias, and basically untrue. White privilege is definitely more subtle today but if you think about it, that makes the issue even bigger and more sensitive. In the past it was a widespread fact/belief/practice that minorities were the lesser but today where we are striving for equality and seem to have grasped it, when these small circumstances arrive they stir up more controversy because of the shift in standards.

I disagree with purplebubbles when they think that Wise’s comment about disability was completely out of line. If you look at it from a certain perspective he is saying that we know we are privileged over the disabled but we don’t like to admit it or think of ourselves that way so when people are accused of being privileged they get angry which is why he had to defend his article in the first place. People who are disabled are at an unfair advantage which is no fault of their own, of course he is not saying a physical disability is the same as a racial one but you can make the connection.

In response to the comment made by ikemefuna about the white man in ragged clothes and the black man in a suit, from a certain perspective the white man wouldn’t be seen as poor, he could be stereotyped by a style like grunge or emo or something. How many of us can say that we have left our house whether it was going to school or not, but left our house in sweats and a tee or in pajama pants and has ever been looked at as poor? It has become an accepted appearance so the white man wouldn’t necessarily be looked at different then the black man in the suit. Race and class are definitely not in the same field when we mention white privilege but in this case race still wins even though the class is lower.

I want to bring up the article “I’m not racists but its true” where they stated the loss that whites are at because if they celebrate being white they would be called racist. Technically this is true but you have to look at the reasoning behind it. All of the programs created for minorities were created because they needed to be. Whites were always dominant and as minorities tried to move up in the rankings such programs as the NAACP and black history month needed to be created in order to show equality not superiority and shed light on to accomplishments not usually taught in texts because race.

I can’t say that I have ever been given a privilege or because of affirmative action but I have definitely witnessed white privileged first hand when it came to my best friend. Like I said earlier most of this stems from stereotypes and the people in my try are not racist but because of stereotypes which they sometimes follow they seem to be. My best friend who is white got caught stealing money from her job but instead of being immediately punished, one of the supervisors questioned if our friend, who is a Hispanic minority, was involved. And her parents questioned if her boyfriend, who is a black minority was involved, instead of completely blaming her for her own actions. Stereotypes basically made her seem like an innocent white girl corrupted by thugs and I have to say she got off really easy and I don’t like to admit it but if it was me in that situation, I dint think we would have the same outcome at all.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57
student

humans are unfair to each other on so many levels

At the end of the day, there is an advantage to being white, not just in the U.S., but in the majority of the world. Due to the history of the white race, you can find them almost everywhere you go, and they seem to hold some authority. This obviously isn't always the case, but being white kind of gives off the impression of the average Joe race, with no tendencies as a whole regarding cleanliness, or manners, or sexual behavior. This could not be farther from the truth, but this is why white people of all classes have and advantage over those of "color" in equal or higher classes. People make assumptions, and lot of those people are also white.

It is true that privilege is the opposite of discrimination because that means something good comes out of being part of that race as opposed to being denied something, put down, or something else negative. It is also true that whites are at an advantage when looking for jobs and buying houses in terms of how people making the decision perceive them. However, in order for this to stop, steps have been taken to stop such privileges, like setting quotas and that has resulted in not necessarily white discrimination, but definitely minority privilege. White discrimination would be not being able to have a club called "White Leaders of America" because it would be considered racist, much like the "I'm Not Racist" article said. One must reflect, though, on the fact that it is indeed unfair, in reality, the leaders of the country are already predominantly white, so there is no need for a club (and this, in turn, poses the question, why does the number of leaders of a particular race matter as long as their good at it? But I'm digressing). On a side note, also agree with OceanofDarknes that the "I'm Not Racist" article was a little exaggerated in terms of the specific pieces of evidence it showed. All major races or ethnic groups weren't proven to be given more attention than white, like he was trying to do. There were many allusions to African-American things, but I forget if there were any Asian ones, and absolutely no one I know even celebrates Cesar Chavez day, let alone knows when it is.

I really can't think of anytime where I've been given a privilege due to my race. I think my gender has played a stronger role in certain privileges than my race ever has. I also can't really remember any discrimination due to my race. However, I know that it happens, just from hearing my grandparents talk about people of other races. They're not bad people, obviously, but they have certain old-fashioned notions, and they make assumptions. They make assumptions when they see Hispanics or African-Americans in baggy clothes. I know people who think that the Asian restaurant is going to rip them off, and that white guys must be bad dancers simply because they are white. This assumptions range from less serious to really serious, but with all of them, the people making the assumptions change their attitudes around them, which is a problem. They become tense, wary, or in some cases more relaxed which can also be bad depending on the situation. This is truly when race, privilege, and discrimination becomes a whole big issue, when the color of your skin in connection to the way you act has a negative or positive meaning for people, and effects their opinions and attitude towards you.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40
student

Race plays a major role in every person’s life that lives in the United States, no matter what background you come from. People are most familiar with white privilege because this is the larger race in regards to the other ethnicities in America. However, I know that Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other races as well have made judgments and have given the upper hand to someone of their “kind.” I have seen times where a white was treated normally by an Hispanic, such as in a grocery store, but when it is a Hispanic shopping in a Hispanic run business, they are the ones that receive the privilege, where the employee would actually go out of his way to help him out, because he is just “looking out for his own kind.” Whether we notice this is not, each race has a tendency to look out for someone of their own culture, feeling that they have a closer connection and understanding with them. I don’t think that this is right, but it is something that occurs on a daily basis and it is not fair to talk about white-privilege when in reality this can happen in every other race. As someone who would not be categorized as a white by any means, I feel that because of the history of what whites have done in the past in this country, they are the ones being targeted by every other race. To my understanding, there are some people who fear people that are white, because they feel that they have authority and power that negatively influence their lives.
I believe that the reason it is more acceptable in society for there to be establishments, such as BET, TAG and the United Negro College Fund, is because these races in particular are believed to start off at a disadvantage. It is not rare for one to think that multicultural youth start one step behind whites, and that is why these companies and organizations exist. In my point of view, it is wrong. This is a prime example why there is still discrimination in society. How are we, as a nation, expected to equal when there are things like these that separate races?
Another topic that is relevant to my point of each race having a privilege within their own ethnicity is when some black people have come out and said that it is acceptable for blacks to refer to one another as the N word, but for other races it is not ok. And then some blacks say that it is ok for blacks and Hispanics to say it because they come from a similar background. These exceptions and “rules” set by people allow problems to arise in our everyday lives and I think that they should just be omitted from our minds entirely. It is not until we see what each race is doing wrong respectively, until we are finally able to live in a world where we can truly say that it is equal
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39
student

White Privilege.

I definitely agree that there is an advantage if you are White in the United States. Even though I think that Tim Wise’s interpretation of white privilege in his article “This is Your Nation on White Privilege” is a little bias and extreme, but I do agree with many of the things he says. If a Black person and a White person do the same thing, the way people perceive that action and judge them will definitely be different just because of their race. Being a minority myself I have often heard people in my family say things along the lines of “they only treated him that way because he’s white” so it has been embedded in my head growing up.
I don’t agree with Tim Wise’s statement that “privilege is the flip side of discrimination” because I don’t see this “privilege” as a good thing. When you go for a job interview, most people would want to get hired because they are qualified and fit for that job, not simply because they are White. If you are hired simply because of your race then that should make you embarrassed of working there and the quality of that job would decrease. Like someone said in class on Tuesday, I do think that privilege is given to both White people and people of color. For example, a minority may get more scholarship opportunities because they are seen as more unable to pay for college. Even though that is a type of privilege, I still believe that White people do receive the better part of it. They are given more opportunities in almost everything in life whereas minorities may struggle more than them.
I really like ryu’s statement saying “everything I have accomplished is due to who I am, not what I am”. I think that mentality should be in all American’s minds because it would definitely improve our country and decrease issues like racism and discrimination. I also agree with starfish’s point saying that it’s not only whites who are racist against blacks. I often see a lot of minorities being racist against whites in situations where whites are the minority. For example, a white kid in a public school in Dorchester probably gets bullied all the time because he is white and therefore the privilege in that place is given to the minorities. Whites are often perceived as the oppressors, but I often hear minorities unjustly criticize Whites.
I haven’t had a memorable or strong experience where I have felt discriminated against just because I am not white. BLS is a very diverse school white all types of people, but sometimes it’s true that being a minority makes you feel like an outsider. For example, in a class I’m often the only minority and sometimes there’s a feeling of being uncomfortable. Also, since I attend an exam school that has a good reputation, I feel as if people are surprised that a minority goes there. I also feel that the fact that I go to a good school cancels out the fact that I am a minority because it proves to others that I am smart and serious about my education, which goes against the stereotype.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17
student

White Privilege

I think that there is unspoken advantage to being “white” today but it is becoming less prominent. I’ve never really thought about white privilege and although McIntosh’s article may be outdated and a few things seem forced, as purplebubbles said, some of what McIntosh said seems to be apparent in our culture, for example numbers 12 and 22. Like nadabee1 and theoneandonly I disagree with number 41. Maybe that was true at the time the article was written but today the medical coverage you receive is based on your insurance and ability to pay for the care not your race.

I agree with Wise that “privilege is the flipside of discrimination.” As mango717 said, if there wasn’t racial discrimination, then there wouldn’t be any privileges for certain races. I also feel that there are certain privileges or advantages and disadvantages for every race. Like starfish14 said, there are so many factors that account for the way people are treated.

Like monkey33 and others I can’t think of an instance where I was the beneficiary of an unearned privilege because of my race or identity. However, I have had an experience where my race worked against me. I was picked last on a team once because of my race. The “black” athletes were chosen first because people just assumed they’re “black” so they must be good, which turned out not to be the case. People should be treated and judged based on their actions and who they are as a person and not by the color of their skin.