Go Back   Discussions > Archive > Discussions > Facing History 2004-2005 > 2004-2005 Section 41 Blue

Old 10-24-2004, 22:43
student

Sitting Arrangement...

My results were not as shocking as I had thought they would be. Even though this was not my favorite activity due to some rudeness from the people I interviewed, I did learn that friendship the answer for the question of why the students sit together.

TABLE #1:
Ok, this table was completely contradictory of what Tantum wrote because it was completely mixed. It was made up of all male juniors. Three of them were Caucasian, one was Hispanic, one African American, two Asians, and one Middle Easterner. They said that they were all friends, dating back from sixie or fivesie year; that was why they all sat together. They told me that they sat at the same place every year and that their friends use the same table at the two other lunches. All of them said that they liked sports and comedy and that they share and have shared most of the same classes together throughout the years. Furthermore, I observed that they had different lunches, half of them bought lunches and half brought their own from home. They all lived in different places, ranging from West Roxbury to Fenway to J.P. Their grades varied although they usually were not below a “D”. These were interesting individuals that answered my questions pretty thoroughly, although they appeared a little hesitant at first.

TABLE #2:
This was a long table in the middle of the cafeteria. It consisted of both males and females. Most of them were from Class III, but some were from Class II. Yet, all were Asian. They said that were friends or family so that is why they all sat together regularly. Some of the students have the same classes, including a junior and a sophomore which are in the same Chemistry class together. They had all different lunches, as some bought their lunch, some brought their lunch from home, and some didn’t eat (“…to watch my weight!” one skinny girl said). They stated that they sat at the same table everyday and that they have for a few years now. They live in different neighborhoods, prominently Eastie and the South End. They also said that they got around the same grades, as everyone else did at the table, which were usually honor roll grades. These people were really nice and they answered politely.

TABLE #3:
The next table that I surveyed was a freshmen table. It consisted of two girls and the rest were boys. They said that they sat together regularly and that they did because they were friends for a couple of years and they also had many of the same classes together. Most of the students bought their lunch, but I think two brought theirs from home. They didn’t live in the same neighborhoods, as they lived in Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Hyde Park, etc. When I asked them if they had about the same grades, they all yelled “NO!” immediately. They reported that they always sat together when they could and that they sat at the same location at lunch everyday. This was not a very diverse table, as the kids were mostly Caucasian.

I agree with IHEART4SEAT that the students sit where they are most comfortable. The real question that arises is why do the kids feel more comfortable with people of their own race? Table 1 contradicted what the outcome was supposed to be because it was very diverse…they sat together because they knew each other for a long time and they had similar interests, making them comfortable with who they were sitting next to. Table 2 proved the idea that people from the same race sit together because there were only Asians sitting there, regardless of what grade they were in. Apparently, these individuals were more comfortable with people that were like them and had a similar heritage. Table 3 also supported the idea because most of the students sitting there were Caucasian. They sat together, it seems, because they had similar classes and have known each other for a while now. This was a good project because it allowed me to meet the students of other grades and allowed me to better comprehend the sitting arrangement in our school’s cafeteria.
Old 10-24-2004, 23:05
student

So I must admit, I was kind of annoyed with this project. I usually come to lunch late anyway, so this assignment really cut into my quality time with my lunch (I'm not a glutton, just I don't eat breakfast, and am very hungry by lunch). I alos always hated people asking me these questions at my table. But, alas, I found a few interesting, although not surprising, things. I have second lunch, and I first interviewed the people at my table:

Round Table Between sets of doors: Well the kids at this table sit together because they all have known each other for many years. They are all seniors, and mostly white with the exception of one person. They are all from different sections of the city, and enjoy making fun of the majority fo the student body, especially those kids from "westie" or "southie." When one was asked why he eats lunch with these people he responded jokingly "cause I hate black people!" He then said "because these are my friends, is that good enough for you." This was pretty much the consent of the table. I know I sit with these people because I usually laugh all through luncha dn have a great time. These people are my friends, I sit with them for that reason, and have whenever I have shared a lunch with any of them.

Long table near lines: Here is a table predominantly made up of sixies, well half of it is. They were pretty much afraid to talk to me when I came over. It was mainly girls, all white girls, on one half. They were from different sections of the city, and they all sat together because they had many of the same classes. Obvioulsy they never sat together last year.

Round Table in Senior section: This table had mostly seniors, but a couple juniors(at some times). This table was made up of a few people I knew. They are from different sections, many form JP, some from westie. This table was pretty much white. They basically said we sit together because we're friends.

I guessed from the beginning the main answer would be "I dunno, we like to sit with each other..." I probably could have received some better answers but I avoided tables made up of "westies" and/ or "southies"... One of the reasons I sit with my table is because I feel comfortable with the people, they are my friends. I had the pleasure of sitting across form a "westie" table last year, and did food fly from there table into my head...yes it did! I choose to eat with my friends because they are my friends, not because they are white, well three out of the fourare anyway.
Old 10-25-2004, 00:40
student

"Dining Hall" study

All right, I wasn't so into this whole "asking random tables questions at lunch" thing when it was first assigned. I admit it. and after the first table, it wasn't looking any better. However, looking back on it, it wasn't so bad. I haven't been permanently scarred by my ventures into the territory of underclassmen. In fact, I appreciate our sole privilage as seniors all the more. and it's interesting to see what other people think of themselves and the people they eat with. so, without any more gilding the lily, my tables:

Table One:
As I mentioned, i was not overly fond of the first table i questioned. It was all boys, at one of the round tables near the snack line. when asked what grade they were in, they responded that they were in 11th grade. they were NOT in 11th grade. they amended to 10th grade, but continued to laugh about it. my assumption was that they were either 9th or 8th (they looked like 8th, but i'm horrible at guessing ages). everytime i asked them a question, they blew it off, or made something up. when asked if they all brought lunches (there were several paper lunch bags on the table), they said no. when asked about the bags, they said "oh, well, we buy lunch AND we bring lunch. we're hungry." it went on like this for some time. by the end of the little interview, i was ready to ask if the reason they all sat together was because they were all idiots. however, i restrained myself, and determined that at least one reason they all sit together is because they all have the same fifth period class.

Table Two:
Table two was a good bit easier than my first table. I retreated to the senior section, and spoke to a table of six senior girls. most of them have been eating together since sixie year, when they have lunch together. the others have joined more recently. only two have R5 together, but they have all had classes together in the last few years. they're all friends. three classify themselves as asians, the other three as hispanic. they were all much more cooperative than the younger students.

Table Three:
My third table was half of one of the long tables. they were all freshman girls. white and preppy. they all brought their lunches (brown paper bags), but were quite fond of the snack machines. they sat in the same seats at the same table every day. all but one had known each other since sixie year (the one exception was a B-zie). they were particularly pleased to be asked questions, probably because they'd been asked before, being so close to the senior section. they said simply that the reason they all sat together was because they were all friends.

My conclusion from all this was that it's generally NOT a good idea to bother people, especially younger people, with questions at lunch. people generally sit with the same people all the time, and generally have known each other before: so they can gang up on poor FHAO students who come calling during meal time.

now, i shall return to the game... GO RED SOX!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:54
student

Table 1
Round table near entrance to cafeteria farthest from main entrance.
This table was all 9th graders except for this one sixie kid. And nobody liked the sixie kid. The sixie kid seemed to only sit there on the principle that if you get to a table before all the seats are filled up then you have a right to be there. He was receiving ridiculous amounts of abuse from the rather rambunctious 9th graders and I almost felt bad for him but then again it was kinda his fault for being so defiant in sitting there. These kids were all friends (excepting the sixie) and sat there everyday. There were a few white kids, a token asian kid, and few hispanic kids. They shared some classes together though only two of them shared the r5 class. They were also all male.

Table 2
Another round table on other side of entrance.
This was a table full of sixie males. These kids had all known each other since the 4th grade or earlier from a previous school. It was split pretty evenly half asian and half white with the token hispanic kid. They sat at the same table every day. Most of them seemed to have school lunch. They did not live in the same neighborhoods nor did they share their r5 class.

Table 3
This table was a long table. These were all female sixies. All of them were Asian except for one white kid also. They all had the same R5 class and "it is easier to just sit together than to be scattered all over" is their rational for sitting together. They do not always sit at the same table since groups of older students will sometimes take the tables they sit at. They seemed to have bag lunches for the most part. The majority of them were also wearing glasses.

My conclusions from this is that for the most part (this is excepting my poor sixie friend from table 1) people do sit with people they are comfortable with. Most of the time it is with friends though as is the case in table 3 it can also be a matter of being with classmates whom they grow to be friends with. That defiant little sixie seems to be a wanderer with just nowhere else to go so he sits at the table with a person he knows even if that kid is not particularly fond of him.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:29
student

I can't say I really liked doing this project too much because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat lunch because of it .

Table 1: The people weren't really mean but they kind of ignored me half the time. It was all asians. They were all seniors. There were two vietnamese and 5 chinese at the table. There were two girls and four boys. They came from different neighborhoods such as Dorcester (2), brighton, south boston (2), and allston. Their reason for sitting together was because it was available and it was close to the lunch line.

Table 2: It was all boys and pretty diverse. There were two whites, three chinese, one white, one vietnamese, one philipino, and one arab. They are also all seniors. They come from different neighborhoods such as brighton (3), roslindale (2), west roxbury (1), "gay" (???), 1 from the southend. There reason was that they were 'racist' and 'homophobic.' I know that they weren't really serious with what they said considering this table was probably one of the most diverse in the entire lunch room. They just wanted me to go away.

Table 3: It was almost all girls except two boys. All of them came from West Roxbury except one person from Hyde Park. They're all in the 9th grade. They're all white, mostly mixed of Irish and German. They said they sit together because they went to the same elementary school and that they're all friends.
Old 10-25-2004, 19:37
student

First I want to apologize with being late with my posts latley, my computur is horrible and the school ones aren't any better.

Lunch rooms tables. I went to three different table and they were all pretty much the same.

The first table I went to was a table of all sixie boys. They said that they sat together because they went to orientation together and they all had the same lunch. They were all from different parts of Boston such as, Rozi, Westie, and dorchester. They also were or seemed to be "white"

The second table was all girls in the nineth grade, they were a little bit more integrated , there were some asaian girls, and african amrican girls. They said they sat together because they were all frinds both outside and inside of school.

The third table was in the seinor section. It had both boys and girls of different races. This was out of the three tables the most intrigrated by both race and sex. They said they sat together because they knew each other but that they didn't always sit with those people at lunch.

I learned that the younger the grade people tend to sit with kids of their own race and gender and slowly they begin to intergrate as they get older.
Old 10-25-2004, 20:35
student

Arrow Lunchroom Survey

I have to say that I was a little skeptical of this assignment. I remember being approached in previous years by Facing History students for this exercise and being completely void of what I thought were sufficient answers. I was a little nervous that my subjects would not be entirely willing to tear themselves away from their atrociously short lunchtime to answer my vague questions. It actually turned out to be fun. What I found was not extremely enlightening, or even surprising, but I suppose in ways, that is a good sign.

Table Uno: Back End of "Dining Hall" (Palace Rd.)
The first table I visited was fairly diverse in terms of race and backgrounds. There were two African-American boys, one Asian boy, and the rest were some varying shades of the "white" race. They were all ninth-grade boys, however. They came from a mix of Roslindale, West Roxbury, and Dorchester. When I asked how they knew each other, they were surprisingly unsure. They all gave me vague answers that made me infer that they were either in the same classes or just happened to be attracted to one another for some inexplicable supernatural force.

Table Dos: Middle of "Dining Hall"
This second table was a long table, instead of a circular table. This, in contrast to the first table, was rather homogenous. It was a long table that seemed to go on for miles, packing in dozens of small children, so I had difficulty counting exactly how many were there. It was entirely young, white, mostly blond, girls. They were the closest thing I saw to the "plastics", from the world of "Mean Girls". They were from West Roxbury, Roslindale, and a few from Jamaica Plain (although few). They said that they have a few classes together, but they know each other from their neighborhoods. Many of them used to go to elementary school together. I was a little reluctant to inquire about the apparent lack of diversity. That might have been a little assuming and offensive of me.

Table Tres: Front End of "Dining Hall" (Ave. Louis Pasteur)
This table was the most diverse of all three that I visited, althought that's not saying a huge amount. Unlike the other two tables, this one had a mix of both boys and girls. The majority were boys, however. They were a mix of ninth and tenth-graders. They said they came from J.P., West Roxbury, South Boston, Roslindale, and Dorchester. When I talked to them, however, there seemed to be a few "representative" boys, who spoke for everyone else. They seemed to be the most outgoing, and coincidentally, annoying, of the bunch. I asked some of the quieter kids (the girls and the two minority boys, interestingly) questions more directly, but they were reluctant to elaborate much on their answers.

What I found from this is that it seems that in the younger grades, the genders tend to be more segregated, and as kids begin to get older, they mix more with the opposite sex. It also seemed that as the kids got older, they began to mix more with different races, different grades, and people whom they might not know quite as well from outside of school. I did not find, thankfully, what the diagram of the old cafeteria indicated. While some specific tables had racial/gender majorities, I would not be able to map out the "dining hall" in such distinct areas. Thank goodness.

--Henry Ford (...and now the irony is clear)
Old 10-25-2004, 21:28
student

The first table I interviewed was a male senior table and was about as diverse as it gets. When I asked them to identify themselves ethnicaly, I got Hispanic, Lebonese, white, Polish, African American, and African. They were all pretty good friends and always sit together, but they are not from the same neighborhoods. Their gpa was all apporximatly the same and they were all in approximatly the middle class. They seemed like kids who would just eat lunch and talked to whomever was there about whatever they wanted to talk about.

The second table I went to was also in the senior section but was only about 50% seniors. It was male and female, but everyone was white (or Italian). They also were from different areas, but their gpa was more spread out. A few of them said they had been sitting with eachother for years. It seemed like they were a closer knit groop than the first table, more exclusive. I dont think the exclusiveness is based on race (I doubt I would have been too welecomed), I just think they are a close group of friends who enjoys talking with eachother about their own things.

To get a different perspective, I went to a sixie table closer to the snack line that was all girls. They were mostly white (one hispanic) and they all looked like they were form the same block. They were actualy from a couple different neighborhoods, but they dressed, talked, and acted the same. They all were in one of two homerooms (none of them knew eachother before the year), and said that most of their friends were from their respective homerooms.

It seemed like the tables I visited were segragated according to personality more than anything else. Although there were some other similarities within a table, that was the one conastant. I think my experience at these three tables wasn't the best example to get at voluntary segragation. I think a much more telling thing to look at is how people spend their time after school, and more importantly who do they spend it with, especially looking at grades 8-10.
Old 10-25-2004, 21:47
student

This project was pretty interesting. I kinda knew what i was going to find before i even sat down at each table. I have third lunch and i sit at a table of mixed races. We eat lunch together and carry on conversations regularly.

The first table i went to sit at was all girls. They were essentially mixed. Some were hispanic, one was caucasian, another girl was from eastern europe and some were black. They lived all over boston. Some were in east boston, some were in Westie, and Rossie. One lived in hyde park. They were all juniors and were at the very least aquaintenses.

Another table I went to was in the senior section. There were alot of black kids. THey were all in the senior class and knew each other. They were good friends and had been in the same classes over the years. They were boys and girls and lived in various parts of the city. They all knew each other and on the first day of school when they were all searching for people to sit with they found each other. Most of them knew where to meet up because they had found out earlier in the day.

Another table i went to was full of guys. They were juniors and some were on the football team, some were in the same class. They were all friends. They lived all over the city too. They were all caucasian and and around 16 years old. When i asked them why they sat together it was because they all knew each other and wanted to sit with friends.

I beleive the reason why "All the Black Kids Sit Together" is because people search for familiarity. Sitting with people of the same race for some people makes them feel more secure. It seems wrong but i understand. It just happens that people of the same race happen to know each other better. some people don't neccessarily have to sit with people with of the same race but it happens to be that way. People who sit with the same race aren't racist, i think its natural for people. For most people there is at least one other person of their race, it's the natural way of things
Old 10-25-2004, 23:39
student

Color in the Cafe

When I approached one table I noticed that everyone sitting there was the same race, I went through the whole list of questions, grade, area of Boston, and even checked out what they were eating (whcih they all thought was really wierd). When I asked if they were aware that everyone ate their table was of one race they immediately began defending themselves. It just happened that way. It wasn't that way all the time, just that day. The kids felt bad that they were sitting all together which is how I concluded that race wasn't a factor. They all felt so bad about it and they seem ready to apologize for themselves, which really wasn't necessary, I'm sure that they just happen to be friend, i don't really think they're rascist but at another table I went to everyone sitting there was again the same race, I didn't ask this time because of the excitment at the other table. I really think that this was just a conincidence, maybe I'm just being naive though.

The most common link I found amoungst all the tables in the cafeteria was grade, people usually sit with kids from their own class, maybe that way they can all just complain about teachers to people who understand, or spread gossip without having to give a back story, or maybe people are just more comfortable sitting with people they know and can relate to. I don't see anything wrong with that, a white person who only has white friends isn;t necessarily racist, it's just how the relationship works out. If everything we do is overanalyed then it can get a bit tedious, not everyone is a bad guy, people just flock to what their familiar with. It would be wonderful and peacefull if that wasn't the case, but it is, and people just need to accept it.

The greatest thing about this assignment was the oddities of the tables, one of the table I went to was all freshmen boys, very integrated, but also all very annoying, they screamed over one another to answer the questions and fought over some of the stuff. Maybe it's better that we let them sit by themselves, that way no one else has to deal with them.

The senoir cafe was pretty interesting al in it self, if that scene from Mean Girls was to show up anywhere it would be here. You got your sixies who don't know that they aren't supposed to be there, jocks and popular guys in the back against the wall, pretty girl table by the girls bathroom, artsy punkish guys toward the rest of the cafe. I didn't really notice it before but the senoir cafe is definately the most segregated, the tables really seem to be devided by color and gender and people who you know are friend are all sitting together, after 6 years in the school no one mixes it up any more I guess.
Old 10-26-2004, 00:02
student

The first table I went to was all girls and one guy pretty well mixed between caucasian and asian. They were all from different parts of the city and had known each other since sixie year. They all seemed to be pretty big gossips. They said they were sitting at that table because it was the only one left.

The second table was all guy. They were all about the same age and all causains. They were talking sports right before I got there and had classes together. They'd sort of come together over a period of three years, but they all knew each other.

The third table was all girl. It was a good racial mix. They'd known each other for three years and had classes with each other. I gt mildy distracted here and forgot to eat lunch becauise they were pouring over the new Shonen Jump magazine....

The interesting thing I noticed was that going through the tables, when I'd ask them what part of the city they were from, they had to ask each other. If there's segregation by neighborhood, its not a concious effort. I did notice that people with similar interests came together, but I think that was probably mostly because that's who they ended up making friends with.

We talked today in school about students first checking lunches to see who they had in theirs. It makes a lot of sense to me. Lunchtime in the sort of pseudo-recess they give you because you're old enough that they don't feel guilty about making you sit still all day anymore. That being true, its still the only time during the day when you get to talk freely, sit where you want, and relax. Its the social hour, so people cut to the fun stuff before checking up on other things.

'..and that is why WE will continue to seek the light.'
Old 10-26-2004, 00:28
student

Unhappy Lunchroom Data

When we were first assigned this assignment i remembered being approaached by kids last year and the year before. I thought that it was pretty funny, weird and annoying that they were doing this, but now i see the reason why were doing this. I couldn't wait to get started, but i soon realized that that meant i wouldn't be eating lunch. So i conducted my research and ate at the same time.

Table #1
This is in the middle of the cafeteria, a long table. This table was a mixture of different grades, but not race. They new each other from around the school. When i asked them what they had in common they said "we're all girls". At first they gave me obviious answers, then i learned thatthey were all Haitians. They said that that played a factor in where they sat, because they could speak in their language and get along better and understood each other.

Table#2
Round table, senior section. I interviewed a group of Asians. They were all guys. They didn't really want to talk to me. They were busy doing homework at asking about econ. class. They said they sat together,because they new each other a long time ago and that was the only table they could get. It was pretty funny, because there are more people at the table than sits. Their classes, interest were the same. I was about to ask them if being asian factored in when the bell rang. Din't get an answer( i had to rush to class).

Table#3
I couldn't interview another table (had five minutes to eat). So i asked the people at my table to tell me why they sat here. We're a pretty diverse group. The common thing was that there was no where to seat on the first day. When i asked why they didn't move the next day they said they each new someone at the table. This is true. I talked or saw the people at my table before but never ate or had long conversations with them. At first we just ate lunch and went on our way but now we've gotten to kow each other and talk about evrything. If we sat somewhere else we wouldn't have gotten the chance to know each other.

I think that as we grow up we lose our insecurities and go outside of our comfort zones. Before you would have never found me sitting with a group of people i hardly talked to, but this year i just didn't care, and i've made new friends beacuse of that. Whne i ffirst came to this school i hung out with people i went to orientation with and stayed in that little bubble. If we didn't understand something we helped each other, i don't know we just didn't look outside of that. I think we're always gonna be different, because we're Bzees.

Sorry i posted so late. My internet wasn't working nad when i went to school the computers were down.